sixty-eight

Liam was in the hospital cafeteria with his two sons and mother. He was getting food for himself, and a special treat for Drew. Karen wanted to be at the hospital for Liam, so she brought the boys to visit. Liam was hungry, so he went to get food.

" Papa, me want cookie!" Drew exclaims. Liam smiles at his oldest son.

" I'm going DJ." Liam says. Liam picks up a chocolate chip cookie along with his pizza. He walks to the cash register with his mother and children following behind. The cashier smiles at the two children.

" Your sons are a adorable. How old are they?" The cashier asks. Liam smiles at his son's.

" The oldest is almost 2 and the youngest is just about a month old." Liam says.

" They're so cute." The cashier says. The cashier tells Liam his total and he pays her. Liam grabs his food and the three of them walk to the seating area. Liam sits down at a table and places his tray down. Drew starts bouncing up and down next to Liam.

" Papa, me cookie!" Drew exclaims. Liam lets out a little giggle and shakes his head.

Liam hasn't laughed for a while. He's glad to have his son to help him cheer up.

" DJ, you better be sitting in the chair or I'll give the cookie to Brendon." Liam says. Drew quickly climbs onto the chair next to Liam and plops his butt down. Drew looks back at Liam.

" Bren no cookie. Me cookie." Drew says. Liam smiles and hands the cookie to Drew.

" There you go bub." Liam says. Drew squeals and starts eating his cookie. Karen sits across from Liam with Brendon in her arms. Liam stares at his mother as he takes a bite of his pizza.

" You know I'm sorry for making you watch my kids for me." Liam says swallowing the pizza he chewed. Karen shakes her head.

" I've told you multiple times not to worry about it baby. That's what grandmothers are for." Karen says. Liam takes another bite of his pizza.

" I just feel bad." Liam says.

" Well don't." Karen says.

" Papa, when me wit dada?" Drew asks while chewing.

" Well, you were talking while chewing your cookie, so I don't know if I should talk to you because that's not safe." Liam says. Drew quickly swallows his food and stands up on the chair.

" Papa me sowwy!" Drew exclaims.

" Drew, sit down in your chair now." Karen scolds. Drew looks at Karen with a frown on his face and sits back down. Liam messes up Drew's hair.

" Don't be sad bub. Once I finish my pizza we can go see daddy." Liam says. Drew lets out a squeal. Liam shakes his head as he takes another bite of his pizza.

" Is he doing any better?" Karen asks. Liam swallows his chewed food.

" He isn't showing any signs of improvement." Liam says.

" It's going to get better." Karen says. Liam shrugs his shoulders. Drew lets out a irritated sigh as Liam takes another bite of his pizza.

" What's wrong DJ?" Karen asks.

" When papa done?" Drew asks. Liam finishes his pizza. Liam looks at his son.

" I finished now bub. Are you good?" Liam asks. Drew hops off his chair.

" Me good!" Drew exclaims. Drew was about to run off, but Liam caught his arm before he could.

" Drew, do not run away from us." Liam scolds. Drew stops and looks down at his feet.