Pack Mom

Simon

Simon couldn't contain his excitement as he ran around. He ran between the living room, dining room, and kitchen having to burn energy in fear of sitting he might actually explode. He heard someone coming down stairs and he ran into the living room with a giant smile for whoever was coming downstairs. It was his older brother, Dakota. He was not nearly as excited as the young boy. He frowned at the hyper active boy as he'd only woken up twenty minutes ago and still wasn't pleased about it. 

"Calm down" Dakota grumbled. "It's only a pack meeting. You've gone to one before." 

"Yeah, but this one is special because the Luna is going to be there. I've never met her before" Simon said, not letting Dakota spoil is mood. 

"Yeah you have" Dakota said contradicting him. "Alpha and Luna meet every kid in the pack. They scented you when you were a baby."

"I don't remember when I was a baby. It doesn't count unless I remember." 

Dakota grinned at his little brother. "What are you talking about? You still are a baby." 

That stopped the hyperactive child. He puffed up a little and frowned at the older boy. "I am not a baby! I'm five! Daddy said that's not a baby anymore." 

"He was just humoring you. You're just a bigger baby" Dakota smirked at his brother. 

"I'm not! I'm not!" Simon yelled at him. "I'm not baby! I could beat you up" he said confidently. 

Dakota flashed his eyes at the little boy. "You can try" he challenged. 

Simon growled at him. His small ears popped up and his tail pushed out from his shirt and bat a little anxiously as he prepared to attack. 

Their father came down the stairs feeling the tension raging between his two sons. He pulled his coat on as he came down the last couple steps. "That's enough" he commanded. Both boys stopped their challenge and looked to their father. They all looked like younger versions of the other, from childhood to teenager, to adult. 

"Dad!" Simon whined. "Dakota says I'm still a baby. I'm not. You said I was a big boy now." 

"People only make you feel bad to make themselves feel better" their father responded. "Dakota's actually the baby." 

Dakota grinned. "I'm not the one who almost had his five year old call an ambulance because he thought he pulled his back out." 

The father growled a half-hearted warning at the oldest of the two boys. "I can't get injured if you two still want to eat."

Simon giggled. "He called you old daddy" Simon giggled at his fathers expense. 

"Watch your mouth Dakota, or do I need to remind you of your place" their father warned. 

"I didn't say anything" he said cockily. "But if you want to fight I'd be happy to." Both males flashed their eyes at the other challenging the other to make a move. 

"NO!" Simon cried. In all the bickering he'd almost forgotten what he was so excited about. "You promised we would go earlier so we could get good spots at the pack meeting today. You promised" he cried. Tears welled up in his eyes as he didn't want to wait anymore. 

William back down loosing the glare for his oldest son and softening it to a tender gaze as he looked to his youngest. "I'm sorry Si. I know." He picked up his weepy son and held him close. "We'll leave now. I've just got to get my wallet and keys." 

That stopped the boy on coming tears. He smiled at his father, hugging him. He saw behind him Dakota had a smug grin on his face, feeling as though he had won the little battle.