50 Shades of a Relationship

Warning for swearing and implied adult situations.

A few knocks at Benjamin's door vaguely pulled him the from the paperwork he was working on. He grumbled some sort of a come in and he heard as the doors opened. the doors closed just as quickly and soft foot steps walked up to his desk.

He glanced up to see his closest and oldest friend Nick walk up to his desk and sit in one of the chairs on the other side.

He sat up, forgetting about his work for a moment. "Hey Nick. What are you doing here?" As soon as the words left his mouth he noticed the upset look on his face.

Nick didn't say anything for a minute, just sat there frowning and staring at Ben as he thought of what to say.

"What's wrong?" Ben asked. He let go of the stray papers in his hands and focused solely on his friend before him. 

Nick looked away and stared at the little coffee table across the room. "Mattie and I broke up last week."

Ben sat back in his chair and looked at his friend curious. "What happened?"

Nick shrugged lazily. "I'm not really sure myself. Things were starting to get strained apparently. She just kept yelling at me, and I didn't answer her how she wanted and that made her even madder. We eventually we just called it off."

"I'm sorry Nick."

Nick sighed, daring peek at his friend. "It was probably for the best. I didn't think I ever saw it going anywhere seriously. We were too different. Probably good we didn't keep it going too long."

"Seven months is a long time" Ben said. Nick didn't say anything, just kind of bit at his lip and looked around Ben's office. Ben had watched Nick go through girls, and never seen him react like this about a break up. Nick's attitude was starting to worry him. "So what's actually bothering you? I've never seen you this sour about a woman you didn't even want. Usually you're happy getting out of a relationship without any scratches."

Nick sighed, cutting his eyes at his friend. "I guess something she said kind of got to me."

"Care to elaborate?" Benjamin pushed when he didn't say more.

"She said I was getting old to be single."

Benjamin rolled his eyes. "You're 31 Nick. That's not old."

"It is to never have been in a serious relationship, and with no prospects of finding a decent woman to be with."

"Thank you for inviting me to your pity party" Ben smirked.

"Fuck you" Nick said fighting  a small smirk.

"You're not old, and if you're looking for a serious relationship you just need to change how you're looking for women."

"I don't want a mature woman. I want someone...never mind" Nick muttered.

"No, tell me what you were going to say. You need to sort your shit out if you're going to be ready for the type of relationship you're talking about."

For as crappy as Nick felt he honestly was already starting to feel better talking with Ben.

"You're gonna get pissed" Nick said looking his friend straight in the eye.

That made Ben raise a brow and wonder what he could possibly say that would make him mad. "I won't get mad." He leaned back in his chair almost physically preparing himself for whatever he might say. 

Nick let his head roll back and another frustrated sigh escaped him. He stared at the ceiling. "I want someone like Holland."

That shocked Ben a little. "Like Holland?" he asked.