39. Backyard

Harry's point of view:

My last patient of the day had called in early in the morning to reschedule. So in my lunch break I tried to call Nina and tell her I would be home earlier than I had expected. She didn't take the phone so I just messaged her. She is one of the girls who isn't having her iPhone with her everywhere she goes, so I didn't think more about it.

 She is one of the girls who isn't having her iPhone with her everywhere she goes, so I didn't think more about it

I went home after my last patient and tried to call her on my way, but no answer this time either. When she isn't working on writing she normally goes to the gym or a jog, a walk in the park, or she's at our local café. I recon she's spending her day outside in this lovely spring sun there is today. I park my car and walk inside. I take my shoes of and leave the car keys and my mobile on the counter in the hallway.

I am currently walking towards our backyard but stop in my tracks when I see the door to my office was open

I am currently walking towards our backyard but stop in my tracks when I see the door to my office was open. I am certainly sure that it was locked this morning before I went to work, I didn't want to frighten Nina by having her needing to see the office when she walks past it. So, the only reason for it to be open must be that Nina is a bit noisy. I slowly and quietly walk towards the door and I could see she was sitting in the chair. Oh, this wasn't what I expected. I walked over to her, trying to not make a sound, and I stood there besides the chair looking at her. She had closed her eyes and looked peaceful. I know I shouldn't scare her, but I just can't stand away from it. So I took a grip on the handle to the tray and start pushing it closer towards her, I had a massive smile on my face meanwhile saying; «Oh, you are ready I see. I didn't think you would be this excited?»

I immediately regretted the whole thing when I could see the look on Nina's face. I completely took her by surprise. «NO! Harry, stop!» she said and quickly jumped out of the dental chair. «Love, I am so sorry.» I said with a small laugh and pushed the tray away from the chair. «When I saw you sitting there I couldn't help myself. I'm sorry. I was such an idiot.» «Yes you were! I thought I was alone in the house!» «I'm sorry babe. Haven't you seen my text?» She looked a bit shocked still. «No, I haven't been on my phone for hours.» I walked towards her, but she took a few steps back. «Nina, listen I am really sorry. I shouldn't have scared you like that. I tried calling you during my lunch. My last patient called in this morning and rescheduled. I sent you a text saying I would be home earlier.»