40. X-rays

Harry's point of view:

I was done eating my salad and looked at Nina. She is such a beauty. «I'm just gonna go and change, and then I will be ready whenever you are.» I said smiling to her. She just gave me a sad pout, just like she normally does when I want to have a look at her teeth. «It will be fine.» I said to her whilst I stood up and grabbed my plate and started walking inside.

I had changed into my scrubs and walked downstairs. «Nina, I'm ready.» I called out, but with no one answering me. I signed and headed out to the backyard again. She was sitting on the same spot she sat on a few minutes ago. I went over to her and sat down at the spot I have been seated on earlier. She gave a quick look at me before she rested her eyes down at her lap. «Everything is gonna be so different now.» She said. «Honey..» I answered.

I was looking at her, trying to read every information she might give out, she bet her lip and took a deep breath

I was looking at her, trying to read every information she might give out, she bet her lip and took a deep breath. «Even you look different.» She looked over at me again. «I'm sorry.» I said whilst laughing a bit. «I just want fully be in the mood.» She gave me a week smile, a smile I know after years of being with her was pretty forced and not natural.

I rise from my chair and pull the chair closer to her and I sat myself down again

I rise from my chair and pull the chair closer to her and I sat myself down again. My knees were now touching hers. I placed my hands open on her knees and hoped she understand my signal for her to place her hands in mine, she did. I stroke my thumbs over her delicate fingers and hum on a song I heard on the radio earlier today. Her hands are a bit clammy, a sign of her nervousness. I looked up at her, serious but yet softly. «Is there anything I can do to make the experience more comfortable for you?» She softly meet my gaze and shrugged her shoulders. «I don't know.. Maybe just do it another time?» I chuckle and she gave a small smile.

«Other than that? We can lighten your favorite scented candle? So it doesn't smell that much of a dental office? I can put the radio on, or even your fave Spotify playlist? You can have your favorite blanket over you, I know you can get a bit cold when you are nervous.» She looked sweetly at me, grinning a bit. «I would like that. Thank you.» I smiled back at her and raised my eyebrows. «And do you know the very best part is? Concidering we are doing this at our home, you can go and change to a pair of sweatpants and a comfy sweater. Just make yourself as much comfortable you can get.» She nodded. «I should go and get changed then. I'll meet you at the office?» She stands up and was ready to go, I stand up myself. I engulfed her in a hug whispering into her ear. «Thanks for doing this, babe. I am very proud of you.»

Nina was upstairs changing and I was in my office preparing for the checkup. The scented candle was lighting at on of the counters, sending a sweet scent out in the room. Her Spotify playlist was sending out sweet tunes, not too loud, but in a volume where I could hear every word clearly enough. As I was putting the x-rays on the portable tray I hear a knock on the door. I look up at Nina standing in the doorway in her sweats and she had put her brown hair in a messy bun, just the way I like it. «Come in.» I said to her sweetly, she nodded in return and walked inside. I could see she was getting more nervous, but she got a small smile on her face when our eyes met, making me smile widely in return.

I push the portable tray away from the chair and pushed the overhead lamp up towards the ceiling. She stepped closer towards me. I took an arm on her back and rubbed my hand up and down, looking down at her. «Did you brush your teeth?» «I did, yes» she said. I smiled. «Do you wanna take a seat?» She slowly sat down at the dental chair and I reached for my chair and rolled it to the side and sat down. We were in the same level of hight. «Oh.» I said. «I forgot to get your blanket, wait a minute I'll go and get it for you.» She gave me a small laugh.

I got back into the office and walked over to Nina

I got back into the office and walked over to Nina. «Here you go.» I handed her the blanket and she immediately covered her legs and feet in it. I sat down at my rolling stool again and pushed myself closer to her, when I met her eyes I smiled at her. «So, what I will do today is nothing to worry about. I will only give you a check-up and a cleaning. As I said earlier I will use the scaler to remove the tartar you have, and I will take a few x-rays.» She bit her lip before asking «Are you gonna see if my tooth needs a filling on the x-rays today?» My girl, she is so sweet. But I think that the tooth is needing a filling, due to her wincing earlier. I nodded my head. «Yeah, that's why I need to take the x-rays. To know whether I need to do something about it know, or if it has stopped going further in your tooth.» She looked a bit concerned. «Please don't worry about it now, honey. If your tooth needs my help, I will not do it today. I promised you to only give you a check-up and a cleaning, and I will stand by my promise.» She seemed to relax a bit more now. «Thank you, Harry.»

«Should we give it a try now? The first thing I wanna do is to take the x-rays, cause then we are done with that. Is that alright with you?» She looked over to the tray and the x-ray films. «Mhm..» she answered. «Perfect.» I said whilst leaning over and grabbed the first x-ray. I stood up from my stool and pushed it back with my foot. «Can you open up for me?» She complied and I put the x-ray film inside her mouth. «Bite down and close for me.» She did what I asked and I leaned over her to grab the x-ray machine and I adjusted it towards her mouth. «Hold still like that, I'll be back in less than a minute.» I smiled at her and walked outside the room and clicked on a button and the x-ray took a picture. «Great, I just need one more picture and then we are done with this part.»

I went back inside after the second x-ray was taken and walked to her

I went back inside after the second x-ray was taken and walked to her. «You did great, Nina.» I said whilst taking the x-ray film out her mouth. «Take some water if you'd like.» She turned to her left side and took the plastic cup of water and took a few sips. I didn't look at her directly cause I was scanning the x-rays into the computer, but I could see it in my side eye she was wincing again. I went over to the sink and washed my hands throughly, before drying them on a sheet of paper I tossed in the bin afterwards. I placed a mask behind my ears and pushed it down under my chin. I took out a pair of white latex gloves and walked over to the unit and laid the gloves on the tray. I went over to the counter and took the loose tray I had prepared with every tool I needed. I turned around and placed it on the portable tray.