43. Wisdom tooth removal - dicussion

I looked up at him as he was hovering over me. He hadn't put his mask on, so it was relaxing under his chin. He bit his lower lip, showing a few of his perfect white front teeth. He usually bite his front lip when he is concentrated with thinking how he is gonna form scentens, when he is a bit unease. I remand myself that this isn't easy for Harry either, me being nervous around him at his office.

Harry's point of view:

I took the mirror far back in her mouth looking at the gum area where her wisdom teeth is laying beneath. It looks a bit read and has swollen up a bit. Oh no, I think to myself. Maybe I have to remove that tooth earlier than I first had planned. I retract the mirror and my finger away from her mouth, and I place the mirror on the tray. I slide myself and my chair away from where I was sitting and push the button to the dental chair, making it go up to the upright position. I push the tray further away from Nina and then turn the headlamp off and push it up to the sealing a bit. Nina looked at me questionably. «Aren't you gonna give me a cleaning as well?» she asked.

I nodded my head, still wearing my gloves and the mask underneath my chin. «I will give you a cleaning in a minute. But I would like to have a serious conversation about your wisdom tooth.» I could see her tens up as she swallowed hard. «Do you want some water?» She nodded and turned around and took the cup with water and drank. She hold on to the cup but looked over at me. «I wanna ask you, have you had any problems with your mouth lately? Has anything hurt or been irregular?» Her face went a shade paler as she nearly nodded her head yes. This is gonna take a while due to her nerves, so I take off my gloves and reach for the elastic band behind my ears and take the mouth mask off.

I slide myself closer to her and she tens up a bit more. «Nina, take my hand» I say as I reach my hand out for her. She place her hand in mine and I rub my thumb on it, sensing her relaxing a bit. I smile to myself, feeling grateful that the small gesture helped her. She took her other hand and place it over mine, tracing the veins and the bones on my hand. «I-I...»  I smile softly whilst looking at our hands, not wanting her to push anything. Wanting her to feel safe with telling me things like this. «I... I have felt a bit of sourness in my mouth the past week. BUT (she said in a higher voice, trying to make her point), not all day or every day. It has been different from last time.» She said shyly. «Hmm, I see.» She tilted her head giving me quick looks now and then.

«It's not a shooting pain? It's just soar and tender?» She nodded her head in agreement. «No, I also have been wincing a bit when I've been drinking hot coffee or tea, but that hasn't been in the same area as the tenderness.» I nodded, completely understanding what she's talking about. «The wincing you have experienced comes from your cavity, the bacteria lies very close to the nerves so when you drink something hot, or very cold sometimes, it causes the pain that makes you wince. And the sore and tenderness comes from the wisdom tooth that is trying to come out.» She looks so sad, my heart breaks a little for her. «Hm...» She signed. «The gum area where the your wisdom tooth is laying beneath, has a read colour, and it's a bit swollen. That indicate a possibly infection. When a wisdom tooth it on its way out, and there isn't space enough or it lies in a different position than it should the gum-tissue around it, gets infected. If your gums and the tooth gets infected you will have two weeks with pain and a swollen mouth and cheek. You need to go on antibiotics. And it's not unusual that the infection causes abscesses and those needs to be taken care of as well. That's why I now strongly advise that we take care of removing the tooth.» 

I could feel her palms starting to sweat a bit, so I squeeze her hand to show her some affection. She looked at me with tears on the verge to spill in her eyes. «When do you need to remove it, to make sure it don't get infected?» I looked at her sadly. «I am very sorry to say it, but to be absolutely sure it will not cause an infection. I should remove it either tomorrow or the next day.» She started crying.