56.

56. Teach Me Tonight (Season 2, episode 19)

Luke asks Rory to tutor Jess, much to Lorelai's surprise and dismay. Jess doesn't want to study, but he and Rory have several classic conversations about books, The Clash, and what they want to do with their lives. But when Jess crashes Rory's car on an impromptu ice cream run, Rory ends up in the hospital, Lorelai and Luke end up in a fight, and Jess ends up on a bus back home to New York. Lorelai pesters Taylor about choosing The Yearling for movie night for the third year in a row and gets herself nominated to take his place.

High points: A film by Kirk, Jess and Rory's Greatest Hits

Low points: I hate seeing Luke and Lorelai fight, especially because for once, I don't side with Lorelai. I totally get that she's worried about Rory and that she blames Jess, but she has to understand that it's just as much Luke's responsibility to check on Jess as it is Lorelai's to check on Rory. Luke can never be mistaken for not caring about Rory, but at this particular moment, he knows that Rory is OK and he can't say the same for Jess. He has other obligations.

Best quote: "You're not going to kill me. Just think how dull your life would be without me."- Jess