35.

35. Scene at the Mall (Season 4, Episode 15)

The one where Emily finally breaks. After feeling like her husband no longer values her opinion, Emily starts a tirade throughout the mall, dragging Lorelai and Rory behind her and buying everything in sight, whether she needs it or not. The one where Emily starts to respect Lorelai a little more. After seeing Lorelai handle a difficult business call, Emily starts to see how capable Lorelai is in the face of adversity, and even sees a little of herself in her daughter. This is one of the few episodes that really is all about Emily and it gives us a lot of insight into her character and what she's feeling at the moment, perfectly building up to the nearly inevitable separation at the end of the season. Lane moving out is an important step, but it's hard to watch the pain on both their faces, and on Lane's when she finds out how her aunt views her as bad influence on her daughter.

High points: We finally have an idea what Emily is thinking!

Low points: I feel bad for every single person who works in that mall. And for Emily of course! Dean and Lindsay's terrible marriage.

Best quote: "If you're going to get into classic rock, know it, don't blow it!"-Lane