57.

57. Love and War and Snow(Season 1, episode 8)

An episode of firsts. It's the first time we see Lorelai's fascination with snow, a relationship that seems to get almost as much screen time throughout the shows run as some of the minor romantic couples. It's the first time we see a softer side of Luke, other than his interactions with Lorelai. Though he insists the town re-enactment is a waste of time, he brings them all drinks to keep them warm. It's also the first mention of Luke's dead father, a piece of back story that will continue to be developed as Luke becomes a bigger character. It's the first time Lane gets an individual story line, and her incident with Rich Bloomingfeld is as funny as it is embarrassing. It cements Lane's character as a lovable and relateable entity of her own, rather than just as Rory's friend and paves the way for many more stories to come. It's the first time that Lorelai goes on a date with Max and the first time she brings a man into their "no boys allowed" world, signifying  an end to a piece of Rory's childhood, and the beginning of a new chapter in Lorelai's romantic life. It's also the first time that Rory spends some quality time alone with both of her grandparents and allows them to see a little more of how Rory and Lorelai live, while at the same time allowing Rory to see into Lorelai's past. It's an easily forgotten episode, but a very important one that sets up trends for many of the themes that will take years to fully develop.

High points: Emily's reaction to frozen pizza, Luke's soft side, Lane's embarrassing slip up

Low points: It's a good episode, but it does tend to drag a bit.

Best quote: "Rory, are you in any way malnourished or in need of an international relief organization to recruit a celebrity to raise money on your account?"- Richard