4.

4. A Tale of Poes and Fires (Season 3, Episode 17)

Stars Hollow is often painted as a place where the problems of the world are nonexistent. This episode is one of the first times when we see that its residents are not completely shielded from life's tragedies. The inn burns down, and amid all the tragedy and change that comes with such a serious event, we also get a healthy dose of Stars Hollow charm. The Poe Society is unconventional and charming as we've come to expect, and Kirk is making shirts with strange sayings, proving that Kirk can add humor to any number of serious situations. It's a necessary episode to move the plot along, pushing Sookie and Lorelai to open their own inn, and in true Stars Hollow fashion, we get a few laughs along the way. The middle of season 3 is a bit of a dead spot, with many of the episodes not reaching peak Gilmore Girls level, but this one is a clear exception. We also get to see Lorelai spend the night at Luke's apartment, where she gives him advice about Nicole (I'm still surprised he ever thought it was a good idea to talk about Lorelai on a first date, but we all knew he was obsessed with her and not Nicole, so it makes sense), and tells him about her dream where they were married, which seems to amuse and excite Luke.

High points: Luke is finally starting to call Jess out on his garbage, Lorelai faces a major setback that pushes her plot line and her character development to new levels

Low points: Rory's sock puppet show really is difficult to watch.

Best quote: "What am I, dream tramp? Of course they were yours!"- Lorelai