Avenged

When Kakashi and I woke up the next morning, well not the first time due to the boys needing to be fed in the middle of the night, we found a note slid under the door.  It seemed to be in Aoba's handwriting.  Kakashi's eye widened as he read the note.

"What is it?"  I raised an eyebrow at his silence.

"Asuma was killed in action by the Akatsuki member Hidan and his partner."  Kakashi took a deep breath and exhaled loudly.  I felt my heart drop.

"Oh no..."  I whispered but then snapped my head up, "I need to see Kurenai-"  I started when soft knocking came at our door.  I could hear sniffling and instantly knew who it was.  I opened the door quickly to see a teary Kurenai who's face was red from crying.

  I opened the door quickly to see a teary Kurenai who's face was red from crying

"A-Asuma..."  She could barely stutter out before breaking down and sobbing.  I gently guided her to the couch and pulled her in my arms gently rocking her back and forth as she cried into the crook of my neck.  A small tear slipped down my cheek at the loss of a close friend.  Kakashi was making some tea to help calm the nerves and sat on the other side of Kurenai and rubbed her back.

"I'm so sorry Kurenai." I brushed my friend's hair out of her eyes as she sat up sniffling.

"I know that it's a shinobi's duty to lay their life on the line, I just never expected this to happen."  She sighed and shakily took a sip of tea.

"Asuma was an amazing man and shinobi.  We will make sure that he did not die in vain."  Kakashi stood up with a fierce look in his eye.

"Kakashi?"  I looked up at him as he made his way towards the door.

"I'll be back soon.  I was told to come by the Hokage's office today, I'll take the boys with me since I haven't been seen them in a while."  He gave Kurenai and I a small smile.  I could tell he was in pain over the loss of his friend, but I knew that he would probably want to talk to those on the same mission as Asuma to get information so I nodded at him.

"Don't take too long.  It looks like it might rain later."  I stood up and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek as I strapped Izuna and Obito into their stroller.

"Mhm."  He gave another smile as he exited the house.

The next day was Asuma's funeral.  I noticed all of his close friends and family were there.  Naruto comforting Konohamaru and team 8 comforting Kurenai.  It seems that Shikamaru was no where to be seen. With Obito on my right hip and Izuna on Kakashi's left, our free hands entwined with each other seemed to ease the tension a little.   I looked up at my husband who was in deep thought.

"Kakashi?"  I gently squeezed his hand.

"Hm? Oh sorry.  Did you say something?"  He looked down at me with a sad smile.

"No."  I shook my head and rested my head against his shoulder.  A sleepy Obito cooed and clung tightly to my hair.  "We should head home soon.  It's starting to rain and I don't want the boys to get sick."  I brushed a strand of silver hair out of Obito's eyes.