CHAPTER 179 : Bad feeling

Hackney's police station felt like a bunker to Greg. Standing in  front of a window in the small meeting room of the first floor, he could  see the angriness of the population calling for justice on the pavement  downstairs. As hours unfold, the situation just seems to get worse and  worse, the gathering bigger and bigger. Every time an officer would be  sent outside they would be jeered and yelled at so the detective had  resolved not to get any of his forces out if not for an emergency. The  only policemen patrolling outside were plain clothes officers coming  mainly from the Yard, gathering intelligence about probable riots that  were feared for the night. They would go out by a side door and not stay  out sneaking for more than a few dozens of minutes to make sure they  wouldn't be discovered.

Only one thing could make the situation  evolve, a new report from DI Dimmock saying that they've reached  conclusions about what had happened. Lawrence was doing his best, having  enlisted detectives from other departments to help his pressured team  but the investigation was proving to be quite difficult. Whenever the  man was asking other police station for intelligence, he always come  across closed doors, as if Reynolds had dark secrets that were better  kept in the shadow. Dimmock already had to request the assistance of the  commissioner himself to finally be granted access to some files and the  very little information he had been able to gather was giving him a  very bad foreboding about Reynolds.

As six was rigging on Big Ben, Lestrade's  phone rang, displaying the other detective's number. They had been in  contact nearly every hour since the first text in the morning but it was  the first time that they would call each other, finding text more effective.

"Greg, I may have found something but I can't really say that it is related to the case." Lawrence explained, seeming quite upset. "You can't tell anyone for now but you may find it enlightening."

"Go on." the detective replied, interested.

"Do you know what is the National Socialist Worker Initiative ?" Dimmock questioned, ruffling through papers at the same time.

"I suppose it's nothing good ..." Gregory denied, walking away from the meeting room to be sure he wasn't being overheard by anyone.

"Indeed. It is a minor neo-Nazi group from the eighties that haven't left an unforgettable memory." the detective inspector confirmed. "Although, it seems like our man have been briefly a member of this cesspool under the name of Michael Roberts."

"Are you sure it was him ?" Lestrade wondered, knowing that if the information was true it was going to be absolutely explosive.

"I  was looking for any mention of our man's family in the local papers  from when he was growing up when I thought about looking with his  mother's maiden name. I found that short article about a protest they  had organised when a minister was visiting a factory near to their  village. I have asked a specialist to formally identify him on the  article's picture but I think I can affirm without mistakes that it is  him." Lawrence detailed, seeming pretty confident.

"No one thought about doing this simple check before he joined the forces ?" his friend nearly chocked himself when he heard the news.

"Apparently  not. However, we shouldn't jump to any conclusion about what happened  this morning but I think that we can count that to be a major piece to  the man's puzzle." Dimmock quickly moderated. "We can't even be sure that he still uphold that ideology so..."

"Yes sure ... Still its something to look up on." Greg nodded, not willing to jump to conclusions either.

"I'll have a little look at this Michael Roberts action nowayday, if he still have some and I'll keep you informed." the inspector concluded before hanging up the call.