Chapter 40: Don't mess with a Psychopath

MY PHONE RINGS out loudly at the airport and I'm so frustrated by the strong gaze of an old woman standing next in line with me. It rings repeatedly and I'm given a look to exit! Why the hell was she bothering me? I succumbed to her calls and finally answer with complete exasperation.

I let out a sigh, speaking.

"What is it Elena? I've told you countless number of times to stop bothering me with your calls..please..just.." I was cut off by an unfamiliar voice, making me so worried. The sound of my heart beat accelerates.

"Sorry...the patient is in the emergency unit right now." She spoke with an unfamiliar accent, supposedly African.

"Emergency unit?! What are you saying?" My heart tightens and i'm not sure if there's anymore chance to breathe at the thought of something bad happening to the one girl I crazily love.

"She had a car accident along Northway and seeing you were the last person she contacted..." Her voice a bit raged.

"I called you to let you know her condition."

"Please which hospital?" I was already in my car, driving with crazy speed.

"Virgina Mason Hospital."

"I'll be there in a Jiffy."

*******

I'M SITTING right next to Elena, who was still in an unconscious state. The thought of calling Shawn had escaped me because I was overwhelmed with guilt as I saw her breathe with a ventilator. I held her cold pale hands, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"I was a coward, Elena. I should have known..." I pause, caressing her thumbs even when i knew it wouldn't have an effect on her.

"Running away from my problems...running away from you was the most daft thing I have ever done in my life. If I could...could just take it all back." I kiss her knuckles, my tears falling, leaving a stain on them.

"I love you...please..I'm not leaving. Just wake up for me and let's go home. You hate hospitals as much as i hate them. Please, El..." I lay my head beside her, our hands still entwined. I feel so much regret. I just can't look at her in this state. It's all my fault. I went out of the ward, getting a soda. I had been thirsty all because of the rush of coming here.

I get hit accidentally by an unfamiliar nurse who was covered with a procedure mask. She looked nervous, leaving hurriedly without no apology. Though I wasn't in need of it. I still go get myself a drink.

SHE'S STARING AT Elena in her unconscious state with outermost disgust and hatred.

"So, you're still breathing, huh?" Her voice rasped. She unveils her mask, giving a clear view of the anger she has towards the patient.

"You don't want to die? Why's that? Why are you making this hard for me? Since you disagreed with option one, let's go with option two." She grins wickedly with dark eyes, bringing out a drip.

"So, since you don't know what this is, let me tell you... Cocaine." She grins wickedly.

"An overdose of this and oh my god...who knows what will happen." She laughs then relaxes with a sigh.

"Honestly, Elena I wish it wasn't like this. If you had just let go but you're too stubborn and stubborn people like you surely get what they deserve don't they, huh?" She brushes her finger on Elena's pale skin.

"Let me get to it before Mr crazy comes in."