9

~Lilith's POV~

I went into eighth period on Friday, AKA my gym class, and set myself down in my assigned spot on the floor. All of us had our seats on the floor assigned in rows, sitting one after another in the middle of the basketball court in the gym. Although it was uncomfortable after a while of sitting there, I didn't mind it too much.

Coach Powell and Coach Rivera came walking into the gym and sat down at the little table they had at the very front of the room, looking out over everyone before they began taking attendance. When they called my name a little after Luke's, I voiced my presence and fell back into silence, playing with my nails. I needed to get them redone, it seemed, but with the soup kitchen, I'd probably have to go someplace late tonight or early tomorrow morning. Preferably tomorrow morning. They didn't look bad, nor was I missing any nails. I was just beginning to grow tired of the ones I had and wanted some new ones, that's all.

Once the two coaches were both done taking attendance, they began to speak, projecting their voices so everyone could hear them. "Today we'll be playing basketball." Coach Powell began, causing me to sigh to myself. "You all will be playing, but not at once. When, or if, you don't make a goal after three times of having the ball, you'll be out and the next player will go in. If there are any fouls, you'll be out." Powell continued, explaining to us the rules of the game.

"Everyone got that?" Coach Rivera checked, raising his brows questioningly. When everyone voiced their understanding, the two coaches nodded and stood from their chairs. "Okay. Go get changed." Powell said, beginning to head over to the doors with Rivera trailing behind her.

All of us stood from our spots and left through the doors, the girls heading into the girl's locker room while the boys went into the boy's locker room. I went to my locker and opened it, grabbing my clothes and shoes. I quickly got dressed in the tank top and shorts before I pulled on my socks and then shoes, since I hadn't worn socks today. In fact, I almost never wore socks to school in general. If I did, it was because I wasn't wearing any type of heeled shoe. Most of the shoes I wore, though, had a heel and I never needed socks with heels.

After I got dressed, I tied my hair up into a ponytail and left the locker room, heading back into the gym by myself. I didn't mind gym class too much, but I also didn't like it very much either. That was mostly because I didn't have any friends in this class, though.

Sure, I had this class with Luke, but he didn't like me, so he hardly counted. I'd tried for a while to talk to him, wanting someone to keep me company in gym, but he always would just give me a look. I didn't have to be a genius to know that that look meant for me to leave him the hell alone. Simply put, he didn't want to have anything to do with me. Not before I started tutoring him, and certainly not now, either.

That was fine, though. I couldn't make someone be my friend. If Luke didn't like me, then Luke just didn't like me. There was nothing I could do about that and I was fine with that.

I returned to my assigned spot and sat down like everyone else, waiting for the coaches to come back and tell us where to go or what to do. When Coach Rivera came back in on his own, he rolled his eyes as he saw us all just sitting in our spots in the middle of the court. "Don't you see the hoops down? Get up!" He sighed, shaking his head as he gestured to the two hoops on the opposite ends of the basketball court.

Everyone scrambled up and he pointed to the sidelines of the court. "Go there, all of you." He said, brows raised. We all went over to the sidelines and formed one long line there, in the order of girl, boy, girl, boy. Funnily enough, I got stuck next to Luke and another boy named Philippe.

As I usually tried to, I smiled up at Luke. "Hi!" I chirped. Unlike usually, where he'd just look at me with a glare and then looked away, he didn't this time. Instead, he looked at me with a glare and rolled his eyes before he looked away. "Hi." He answered flatly. His grumpy answer didn't ruin my mood, though, and I just smiled and bounced on the balls of my feet. "How has your day been?" I asked happily, cocking my head to the side.