16

~Lilith's POV~

I went into my bedroom late on Saturday night, getting ready to go to bed. The other girls had only just gone off to bed after hours of us five girls playing board games and watching movies. We had been playing monopoly, but eventually had stopped because Ruby kept insisting that I was being a "cheating little bitch." Therefore, we had switched to watching movies instead until we all started to get tired and decided it was past time for us to go to bed.

As I closed my bedroom door behind me, I made sure to lock it. It wasn't that I didn't trust Emery, or Scarlett, or Trinity. I trusted them, but I didn't trust Ruby, even if I had been nice enough to ask her if she wanted to come stay here too. Considering what she had done to me and the way she treated me, I thought that it was fair of me to not trust her. She had earned that.

After I locked the bedroom door, I kicked off my slippers by the end of my bed and turned off my chandelier, plunging my room into darkness. I climbed into bed and settled beneath the warmth of my blankets, burying my face into my soft pillows. Even with how tired I was, the intense quiet of the house stood out to me, making it hard for me to fall asleep. So I laid awake in my bed, curled up into a ball beneath the blankets while I tried to fall asleep. Finally, I began to drift off, my eyelids slowly getting heavier until I didn't even notice I was falling asleep. I was nearly asleep when my phone suddenly began ringing, causing me to shoot up in fear as my heart jolted in alarm at the sudden loud noise.

With a deep sigh, I reached out and felt around for my phone, eventually finding it on my bedside table. I quickly declined the call without even looking, just wanting to go back to bed. Not even a second after I laid down, it began ringing yet again, calling upon my attention insistently. I groaned deeply and grabbed my phone again, answering it as I held it up to my ear. "What do you want from me? It's two in the morning." I complained tiredly into the receiver, laying my head on my pillow again.

The person on the other end of the line chuckled deep into the phone. "Is that any way to greet someone who's calling you?" Luke teased.

I gasped and was suddenly much more awake, sitting up onto my palm. "Luke?" I asked in confusion, my voice a whisper. I heard him snort softly. "Yes, Lilith?" He whispered back, causing me to flush in embarrassment when I realized he was mocking me. "Why are you calling me at two in the morning?" I wondered, carefully laying down again, this time on my back. "I couldn't sleep and nobody else will answer my calls. Not even Ruby." He complained softly, sounding pouty. "Yeah, she's asleep, Luke." I explained on her behalf, staring up into the darkness.

He let out a little whine. "Well, why?" He muttered into the phone. He was speaking a little irregular, slurring his words and talking somewhat slowly. "Because it's two in the morning and she was tired, like me." I answered simply, sighing deeply. He sighed deeply right back and I couldn't help but to smile softly. "So, what did you call me to talk about?" I asked curiously. He paused for a moment. "The dinner with my parents didn't go so well, angel. I ended up getting in a fight with my dad because he wants to pretend like they didn't do anything wrong." He ranted softly. I hesitated for a second, realizing that Luke would never say this to me in his normal state of mind. It seemed personal and he didn't like me enough to share that stuff with me.

"Are you drunk?" I asked quietly, having a feeling that I already knew the answer to my question. "Just a little. I needed some to get through the dinner." He admitted, causing me to sigh. "Maybe we should talk about something else so you can take your mind off it." I suggested lightly. I didn't want him to open up to me while drunk and then be angry and regretful that he'd done it when he sobered up. If he ever opened up to me, I wanted it to be his choice and not something he accidentally did while drunk.