Chapter 11: Lunch

Heather Chandler's POV

I sat there holding Veronica, I felt so bad for her. I couldn't help but think it was my fault that she was here. My eyes started to sting and before I knew it I was also crying.

Veronica looked up at me. "A-a-are you o-o-ok?" I love that stutter.

I smiled at her. "Yeah"

My mom walked back in with two trays of food. One was for her and the other she placed on the table next to my bed. She brought us what looked like a smoothie, a bottle of water, a bag of barbecue corn nuts, two chocolate puddings, and two peanut butter sandwiches. "Thanks mom."

I grabbed the smoothie and the bottle of water. "Which do you want Ronnie?"

"I don't care."

"Do you wanna split them?" She nodded, I handed her the smoothie and I opened the bottle of water. I then grabbed the Corn Nuts and opened them too. I tried to eats some but my throat was still raw from what ever I drank so I decided it wouldn't be the best idea to keep eating them. "Do you want anything to eat?" She shook her head and then handed me the smoothie, I put it back on the table and we cuddled back up to each other.

"Why aren't you two eating?" My mom sounded worried.

I lied. "I'm just not hungry."

"Veronica, why aren't you eating?"

"I don't know, I just don't fell like eating." She answered.

"Sh!t. I have to go guys, your dad wants to meet me and Maggie somewhere. I'll see you two tomorrow." She practically ran out of the room.

We fell asleep in each other's arms, but when we woke up I had to figure out what was going on.

"Hey Ronnie?" She looked up at me to show she was listening. "Can we talk about what happened earlier?" She nodded. "Just wondering, why do you hate hospitals so much?"

"Do you remember in sixth grade when I tripped at recess and I cracked my head open?"

"Yeah"

"Well since then I guess." Tears started to roll down her face again. "I had to get s-staples in my head, and that was really scary. But the bad part was they had to take them out a couple months later and that hurt l-like a b!tch. And then that one time in eighth grade when I broke my arm in gym, that just made it a lot worse. So now if I can I avoid being in or near hospitals." She wrapped her arms around me and I wrapped my arm around her shoulders. She was shaking again, which made me feel bad.

"I'm sorry that you're here. I know it's kind of my fault."

"Don't say that."

"No, it is." I felt a tear run down my cheek.

"Don't cry, none of this is your fault."

"Ronnie, you wouldn't be lying next to me in this hospital bed if I wouldn't have sucked down that cup of piss without looking at it first."

She opened her mouth to say something but the nurse walked in before she could say it. She had two trays with what looked like dinner on them, but I knew neither of us were going to eat it. She handed us the trays and they had a slice of pizza, a salad, and a bowl of pudding.

"Thank you." I spoke up before the nurse left again.

I picked up a pudding and tried to eat some but it still hurt, so I decided it would be better to just let it heal some before eating again.

After sitting in silence for almost 10 minutes Veronica said something. "Can we talk about something other than feelings? Just to get my mind off of being here."

"What would we talk about?"

"Happy Memories."

"Ok"