#13

Song of the Chapter: Battle Scars by Guy Sebastian

Anna's POV

It had been a week since the incident and I was having nightmares and panic attacks every night again. Something I hadn't struggled with for many years. Both mum and dad were worried about me, I know. I had overheard dad mentioning calling Seth. I hadn't seen him in over a year because I had my anxiety under control. I didn't really want to go back. I also knew dad was blaming himself for my attacks, even though I told him many times it wasn't his fault.

On a more positive note, my friends were coming over for a sleepover and I hadn't relapsed.

"Anna Rose Urie!"
"Abigail Jaye Amber!" I shout back to my best friend. She runs up and hugs me. It had been a good 2 weeks since I had seen her and I had missed her.
"Hello to you too." Someone says behind her, laughing.
"Hello Layla, hello Peter." I say purposefully ignoring my boyfriend.
"Fine then, I see how it is." He says sassily.
"Oh you goose hello." I say and wrap my hands around his neck. He kisses my nose, making me giggle.
"Come on you two love birds, let's get this party started!" Layla interrupts.
"I dunno what you're expecting, it's only us, Mum and dad." I say walking out to the back.

Abigail, Peter and Layla take their shirts off, the girls reveal their bikinis, and jump in the pool. James takes his top off and comes up to me.
"You getting in babe?"
"Uh yeah I just need to change."
"Ok."
I go upstairs to change into my bathers. I look in the mirror and I can't handle it, my scars on my thighs and arms, the fat on my stomach, I break down crying. Yeah my cuts were healed pretty much, but I felt so uncomfortable in my skin.

"Anna?" Dad knocks in the door. "Are you ok?"
"Yeah." I sniff.
"May I come in?"
"I guess so."
He opens my door and sees me sitting on the floor, crying.
"Oh A what's wrong what happened?"
"I want to swim, but I can't."
"Why not?"
"I can't bare to look at my body or my scars and I don't want anyone to see them." I watch dads eyes dart around my body and take in all my scars. He hugs me and tells me he'll be back.

He walks back in with a pair of bather shorts.
"There's are Sarah's but she won't mind you using them. With the scars on your arms you could wear one of your long sleeves if you want but your friends won't mind if you walk down there in short sleeves."
I pull them on over my bathers and someone knocks on the door.
"Anna? Can I come in?"
"Yeah."
James walks in and find me and dad on the floor. I guess my face was still red from crying because he immediately asked what's wrong.
"I'm ok I just." I look at dad and he nods, silently saying it will be ok if I tell him, "I can't bare to look at my body and scars."
"Aww baby it's ok. I love you no matter what ok? You could be full of scars or complete clear of scars and I'll love you the same. Your scars show your story, the battles you went through, the battles you survive, you survived."
I hug him.
"We aren't going to make you swim if you don't want to."
"No I want to." I get up and grab a long sleeve and throw it on. James and I walk downstairs and outside.

"There she is!" Abi says. "Come on get in you two."
James jumps in and splashed her, causing her to squeal. I laugh and jump in too.

———

"Pizzas here!" Mum says and we, James, Layla, Peter, Abigail, dad and I, all jump out of the pool and quickly dry off and run inside. My friends all grab a slice of pizza and start going outside.
"Anna? You having some?" Peter asks.
"Yeah just going to get changed first."

Don't eat that Anna
You aren't allowed to eat that
You know you're fat
No you can't be back
I'm back Anna, I never left
And I can't wait to cause chaos