VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/26

The doctor hesitated for a short moment, when he realized who his famous patient was. But then he asked:

"What happened?"

I wanted to answer him, tell him that I had found Elvis on the floor, that I had realized that he wasn't breathing anymore, how I then had started to give him CPR, that he was awake for a few seconds and that a few minutes ago he suddenly had this weired seizure and that he had been unconscious again since then.

But I didn't get to telling the doctor anything. The Colonel began to babble immediately:

"Well, the boy must have had too much of these.", he pointed at the pillbox, "And he must have had too much of this.", the empty bottle still was laying on the floor next to Elvis.

The doctor nodded: „Understood.", the expression on his face told me exactly what he was thinking. He seemed to be very worried about Elvis. Quickly he grabbed a little bottle that was filled with a clear substance out of his bag. Then he gave Elvis an injection. I had no clue what it was. Elvis wasn't responding. He was still unconscious. Two paramedics entered the room.

„Mr. Presley needs to be admitted to a hospital, quickly!", the docotor said. The paramedics took Elvis' arms and legs and carefully placed him on a stretcher.

„Hey Doc!", the Colonel said, „In case anybody should ask, you don't have a patient whose name is Elvis Presley. Today you treated a certain Mr. Steve Smith. Is that clear?"

The doctor looked at him rather surprised but he seemed to understand. He cleared his throat and touched his glasses:

„Of course Mr. Parker. I will do so. It's an honor. Mr. Presley's condition is quite severe. Let's hope that he will survive this night. I was surprised that he was breathing when I arrived. That's a good starting point and gives me some hope. He will be in good hands at the hospital. Let's hope for the best."

This was the very first time when I saw Tom Parker's red face turning completely pale. He took his ridiculous hat off his head and wiped the sweat from his face by using a large tissue. Then he went over to Charly who still was securing the door. Charly looked like he just had seen a ghost.

„Call Michael. He needs to make sure that the paramedics are able to leave the back entrance. No big fuss, please! You know what I mean? Officially we have a patient called Steve Smith who will be admitted to a hospital. Is that clear?"

Charly nodded and without saying a word, he went.

The paramedics were still working on Elvis. They tried to cover his face in order to save him from being recognized on their way out of the hotel. When they carried him out of the suite, I went with them. In no case I wanted Elvis to get out of my sight. So I accompanied them and held Elvis' hand as tight as I could.

„Ahhhmmm...excuse me Ma'am", one of the paramedics said, „Who are you? Are you part of the family?

„I...I, yes!", I answered.

Although the Colonel was trying to call Johnny Baker, Elvis' assistant, he could hear our conversation and noticed that I was trying to sneak out with them.

„Stop! What are you doing?", he yelled, „Under no circumstances you will go with him, girl! You stay here! I cannot let any random slut just go with him!"

Then he shouted at the telephone receiver: „Johnny, move your ass over here! The boy messed up!"

I had enough. I was totally exhausted but Parker being totally disrespectful got me going again. I was not willing to accept his ruthless behavior.

It almost broke my heart when I took my hand off Elvis and saw the paramedics taking him away. I approached Parker and stood right in front of him.

"Now listen, you jerk!", I yelled, "If I hadn't help your boy, he probably had been dead already!"

The Colonel still held the telephone receiver in his hand. His ice cold eyes fixated me for a second, then he continued talking to Johnny:

"We will issue a press release: Elvis Presley is suffering from a strong flu. Although there is no reason to be worried he was admitted to a hospital in Las Vegas which is a precautionary measure. He feels sick but still is positive and already joking with the staff of the hospital. Please send any fan mail to the address of the hospital...blablabla...you know the rest, Johnny. This is a serious situation. No word to the press! You have to come here as quickly as possible!"

Then he hung up. Meanwhile it was only the two of us left in the suite. I assumed that Charly had accompanied Elvis to the hospital. He would not leave his boss out his sight. Suddenly I felt a deep sadness inside me. I desperately wanted to be with Elvis right now. Why did the Colonel hate me so much? With every breath I took, my heart was in pain.

I was exhausted and accused myself. Why had he done this to himself? I went down on my knees at the end of the bed. My legs would not carry me anymore. The Colonel went around the bed, without taking any further notice of me, and took the empty pill box. He put it into his pocket and went across the room. When he arrived at the door, he switched off the lights. I heard the shutting of the door. He knew exactly that I still was there, sitting on the floor, worrying and moaning, the same floor where I had been fighting for Elvis' life just a few minutes ago. He dared to simply ignore me and leave me behind in the darkness. But I was glad to be alone now. I cried my heart out. In my mind I recalled every single moment of this awful night. I thought about Elvis, Priscilla, Michael, the Colonel and then there was this unbearable uncertainty if Elvis would be able to make it. I felt alone and my heart broke a second time. With tears running down my face I starred out of the window. Usually I loved to watch the city lights from here but if Elvis would die tonight, the city would have lost its brightest light.

- to be continued-