VIVA LAS VEGAS - 1/83

I nodded: „Why not? You love to be there. We will escape from here and finally having our holiday at Hawaii. This is going to be so nice. I'm really looking forward to it."

„Aaahhmm..well...", Elvis lowered his head, „Listen, Idy!", this meant no good, „I talked to the Colonel. He had really good news. You won't believe this. All the headlines about me and the fight with the reporter weren't that bad at all, on the contrary."

„What do you mean?", I was pretty confused.

„Well, after the incident was shown on television it seems that I have a kind of „bad boy image" right now. At first we thought that this might cost me my career but can you believe that we sold more movie tickets than ever for Viva Las Vegas? People really want to see me an Ann-Margret. The movie is a success. Unbelievable, isn't it?"

„Okay, but this has nothing to do with Hawaii, right?"

Elvis took my hands. He smiled, but couldn't stand looking into my eyes. He constantly switched from looking into my face and staring at the floor.

„Well, to make things short, the Colonel and I decided to restart filming in Florida. I will leave today."

I pulled away my hands: „You will leave me here? Again?", angrily I stared in his eyes. He seemed to be pretty nervous.

„Idy, please understand. The faster we start all over again the earlier the movie will be finalized. After that I will return to you and then we soon will have our babies.", tenderly he placed his hands on my belly, „I'm so much looking forward to holding our little ones. Please be patient. As soon as the babies are here, I will take you three and we will spend a vacation at Hawaii."

He pulled me closer to him and held me tight. My anger and the disappointment were so strong that I burst out in tears. I didn't want to be in his arms. My fists were hitting Elvis' chest really hard and in deep despair I sobbed: „Then there will be another thing holding us back. You will never have time for me and the kids! I don't know how this is ever going to work. I will waste away here and end up waiting for you for the rest of my life!"

He caught my hands and held them. He didn't have to do much to stop me from hitting him again. In his eyes I could see that this was as much hard for him as it was for me. Finally I fell into his arms, crying.

"I hate to say good-bye to you. I'm worried about you. You have to be careful, okay?", I sobbed.

Elvis planted his tender kisses all over my face. The following minutes meant hell for me. It turned out that the Colonel already had booked a flight for Elvis. Time was running. In tears I had to watch Elvis pack some things. Then he stopped for a second, only to embrace and to kiss me.

„Where are they?", he asked.

„What do you mean?", I refused to let him go and held him tight. I tried everything to hold him back from packing but I didn't succeed and I knew that I wouldn't be able to stop him from leaving me.

"The pills.", Elvis face went very serious.

"Elvis, I don't know, you better should see a doctor...!"

"Give them to me! We will talk about it another time, okay?", his voice had suddenly changed.

I realized that he was highly addicted and I promised myself to let him get away with it this last time but I would get him next time. I knew that these pills would put his life to an end in 1977. They would take away one of the best and most beloved entertainers of the world. I wanted to change history. I wanted to save Elvis. This made it even harder for me to say good-bye. I went into the bathroom, took the box and gave it to him. Elvis hastily finished packing his bag. He took me into his arms one last time and kissed me softly.

„I will call you!", he said, then he turned around and left, just like that.

Once again I was left behind all alone in my room. First I sat on the bed, then I noticed the untouched peanut-butter-banana sandwich. He didn't even take time to eat it. I placed my hands on my belly and felt that the babies were moving. I had no idea how their future would be. It all seemed like they would miss their dad most of the time. I was wondering if Elvis and I would be able to make it. Would our love survive or would it end like the marriage he had with Priscilla in the real world? It sure wasn't easy to try to have an ordinary family life with Elvis Presley. This was a lesson I had learned by now. I cried and I felt awfully lonely. I noticed that I started to feel like that from the moment I had fallen in love with Elvis and I couldn't stand it anymore.

A few minutes later I was knocking on Jenny's door. I was relieved when she opened. She looked at me standing in front of her, drowned in tears.:

"Oh no, let me guess....Elvis?"

I nodded. She took my hands and dragged me into the room. I told her about Elvis' escape to Las Vegas, that he had returned to me, but only for one night. I also told her about the bad feelings I had about our future, how I and the kids would end up as prisoners at Graceland, while Elvis would be touring from one city to another and we would probably hardly see each other.

Jenny took me into her arms and tried to comfort me: „Be honest, Idy. Could you imagine living a life with the kids at Graceland?"

I didn't even think about that one second: „No way!", it instantly burst out of me, „Graceland is so beautiful but I cannot imagine living there. I belong here, to Las Vegas!"

„Mmmhhh...", Jenny bit her lower lip, „Did I get that right? Elvis told you that after all the movies he thinks about returning to the stage and doing live performances again? You would like him to be with you and the kids more often and you want to raise your kids here in Las Vegas and not at Graceland?"

I nodded and asked myself what Jenny was trying to tell me.

Suddenly she beamed with joy: „Idy! I think I have a solution for all your problems!"

-to be continued-

My dear readers - thank you for reading my story and supporting me! Votes and comments are always welcome.