VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/85

It turned out that Frank already had thought about asking Elvis to consider an engagement at the International but he thought that he might be still under contract by the film studios.

„I have no clue how long his contracts will be.", I admitted.

„Well we will have to clarify this first. But don't worry, Idy.", Frank winked at me, „The new hotel isn't there yet. It will take one or two more years until it will be ready for business. Until then the Colonel will be able to sort things out for Elvis. He is a real good manager. He will find a solution with the film studios."

„This is just wonderful!", I jumped for joy, „Then Elvis and I could be together, here in Las Vegas and here with you guys, the best friends I could ever have."

Jenny and I hugged each other. We were so happy. This sounded like a really good plan.

„And who is going to talk to Elvis now?", Frank asked.

Jenny gazed at me with hopeful eyes.

„Me?"

They both nodded and threw me their determined looks.

„Okay, but I will only talk to Elvis. I cannot talk to the Colonel.", I shivered by even thinking of him.

The same night I called Elvis and told him about our plan. At first he was all excited and enthusiastic because he really loved Las Vegas, but the next moment he started to question if he still would be successful as an entertainer on stage. He thought that the audience in Las Vegas might me rather picky. It took me a while to convince him that the city would be honored to have him. I was surprised because he really was doubting himself and his talent but at the end of our conversation, he was just as excited as I was. He promised to talk to the Colonel about the plan. When I put down the receiver that evening, I was certain that our relationship was now moving into the right direction. Then I suddenly felt the babies inside me. It almost felt like they would give their approval. I placed my hands on my belly and promised them:

"Soon your daddy will be home. We are really looking forward to meeting you two."

I knew that probably I had to wait for months until Elvis would return to me. But I was happier than ever in that moment.

The next weeks and months had been really hard for me. I missed Elvis with every fiber of my body. Although we were calling each other on a regular basis, I was longing to hold him, to be with him. Additionally I suffered more and more from the pregnancy. The doctor even told me to stay in bed for several weeks which was very hard for me to bear. When Elvis heard the news he desperately wanted to come to Las Vegas and take care of me but I made him stay in Florida. I didn't want to jeopardize the finalization of the movie. I wanted to make sure that he was done filming before I gave birth to the babies. We managed to convince the Colonel to sign Elvis for the engagement at the International. Actually he loved the idea from the very first moment. A date for signing the contract with Bill Miller had been scheduled. They would meet in Florida. Everything was ready for our bright new future. Frank and Jenny were the best friends in the world. They took care of me. Meanwhile I was a VIP guest at the Rat Pack Shows and Frank even got me into the show. He thought that I was a talented singer and I had the honor to do some duets with him. Of course the press speculated about an affair I might had with Frank, while poor Elvis was working in Florida.

But meanwhile such headlines only made us laugh. I used to warn Elvis upfront every time there was another crazy story about us in the tabloids. He knew that there was no reason to be jealous. I, on the contrary, knew too well that Elvis was surrounded by very pretty young women all the time. I tried hard to get used to it but at some point I gave up and I knew that I probably would never be able to accept it.

In the meantime I tried to avoid meeting Michael. I still had bad feelings because I had used him. My heart had belonged to Elvis all the time but I had thrown myself into Michael's arms again and again. Now I felt sorry for him. I also couldn't ignore Jenny's warnings. She still had the impression that something was wrong with Michael and the more she told me about it, the more I came to the same conclusion.

That's how the days, the weeks and the months went by. Meanwhile it had been six months. I was advanced in pregnancy. Every day could be the day for our babies to come into this world. It was a nice and sunny day. I decided to go to the pool. I enjoyed the warmth of the sun upon my skin and watched the other hotel guests. I thought about Elvis. We had talked the night before and he had told me that he would return to Las Vegas in two days. I was so happy and could hardly wait to see him again.

"Two days, only two more days, how am I suppose to wait two more days?", I asked myself, "Come on, Idy! You have been waiting for six months now, you will manage to wait two more days!", that's how I tried to keep me motivated. But would the babies also wait two more days? The days before I had some minor contractions. The kids wanted to come out of me, I felt it. I sat down on a sun lounger and stroke my belly tenderly. I talked to the little humans inside me:

„Please don't give mommy any trouble, okay? Wait for your daddy. He will be with us very soon.", I smiled while I thought about our little family.

But suddenly a voice interrupted my thoughts: „Daddy is already here!"

I looked up and saw this distinctive smile. „Elvis!"

-to be continued-