VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/27

I don't know how long I had been sitting on the floor. Suddenly the door opened. Somebody entered the room and switched the lights back on. I held my hand before my eyes because the light was blinding me. I gazed from behind the bed and recognized that little, chubby man with the bald head. It was Johnny Baker, Elvis' assistant. He carried a big bag and began to open nearly every door at Elvis' wardrobe. He collected clothes. I remembered Elvis wearing them. He used to look so damn sexy and all I ever wanted was to take them off as quickly as possible. I smiled when I recalled Elvis' funny chuckles and his warm-hearted laughs. I closed my eyes and remembered his scent and his soft skin. It was this very bed in which we were laying next to each other and laughing our hearts out. He often was silly which made me laugh and I found him extremely charming when he sang exclusively for me. I sighed while thinking about how much I was in love with him.

„Who is there?", caught up in my thoughts I had totally forgotten about Johnny. Suddenly he was standing in front of me.

„Idy? What on earth are you doing here?"

I looked at him. This was the man who had pulled me out of the pool, the man who had taken me away from the bar and brought me into my room safely. He and Charly were the only ones I trusted. They both really seemed to understand how I was feeling.

„Oh Johnny!", I answered sobbing, „It's just awful!"

Johnny sat down next to me and put his hand on mine.

„Tell me everything, dear."

I was glad that he was there. I told him every detail. How I had found Elvis laying on the floor, what the doctor had said, how hideous Tom Parker had treated me and how much I wanted to be with Elvis right now.

„You know what?", Johnny patted my hand, „I will pack some more stuff very quickly, then I will take you with me to the hospital.", he smiled.

My feelings took control over my body. I squeezed Johnny very tight: „Thank you Johnny! Thank you! This means a lot to me."

When Johnny got up from the floor, I suddenly felt alive again. Together we packed some more things for Elvis. Inside my mind I prayed that meanwhile he was feeling better. Minutes later Johnny and I were sitting in his green Cadillac.

„It's a rather long drive. The hospital is located outside of the city. This facility is well prepared for famous guests.", Johnny winked at me and tried to cheer me up.

I nodded and chewed an apple that Johnny had found in his car. I was so hungry as I had never been before. With Johnny on my side, I was feeling way better.

„Tell me, Idy. Since the boss has returned to Las Vegas, did you already talked to each other?"

I kept on chewing the apple: „Yes, why are you asking?"

„That's good. It was really important that he informed you about the plan. All you need right now is patience, that's all."

I coughed because a little bite of the apple got stuck in my throat. I had no idea what Johnny was talking about.

„Patience? Plan? What plan?", I was confused while I was coughing again.

Johnny held the wheel with one hand, with his other hand he tapped on my back.

„I don't understand. Didn't he tell you about the plan regarding the wedding with Priscilla? What were you talking about?"

Now I was even more confused. I didn't understand a word Johnny was saying. After the bite finally found its way into my stomach, I stopped coughing and I was able to handle my thoughts again.

„To be honest, Johnny, we didn't really talk at all. I didn't let him talk.", I admitted, „We had a fight and I left as quickly as I could."

„Oh no!", Johnny sighed, „Does that mean you don't no anything about the plan? This explains everything."

„Talk, Johnny! Please!", I was getting pretty impatient. What did Elvis wanted to tell me that day? If I would have been able to, I would have slapped me in the face right now. Why on earth hadn't I listened to what Elvis wanted  to tell me so desperately?

„Okay, Idy. Listen to me very carefully! When Elvis had returned to Graceland after the shooting of VIVA LAS VEGAS the Colonel put him under pressure. The public didn't like the fact that the relationship with Priscilla was kind of uncertain. She still is very young and both had been together for years now. Parker stated that it's about time for the engagement. But Elvis disagreed. He was desperate. That's when he told me about it. Idy, he was in tears when he told me how much he loves you and that he wanted to leave Priscilla."

When I heard Johnny saying that, my heart beat faster. Did I just heard that right? I didn't dare to interrupt Johnny. He continued:

„Elvis and I thought about what to do now and we came to the conclusion that he should fulfill Parker's request. We have to please Elvis' fans. There is too much at stake. A sudden separation from Priscilla could have a negative impact on the success of the new movie. We wanted to prevent the movie from being a flop. Elvis wasn't thinking about himself, he cares a lot of about the break through of Ann-Margret. She is the star of VIVA LAS VEGAS. Elvis only was the male supporting role from the very beginning. He wanted Ann-Margret to prove her fabulous talent. Elvis and Ann are very good friends since the making of the movie. He would never do anything that could harm her career. That's why we decided to play the game and as soon as the movie will bring enough money, we will announce the separation of Elvis and Priscilla. What do you think about it, Idy?"

I was frozen. My head was hurting while I had difficulties in processing what I just had heard.

"Idy?", Johnny was worried.

„I...I understand. Okay,....wwwuuuuiiii...", my hands were shaking while they were running through my hair, „I'm asking myself one thing, Johnny."

„Ask me whatever you want, Idy. I will try to explain everything on behalf of Mr. Presley."

„What about Priscilla's and my feelings? I mean, don't you care at all how we would feel about that? How could you do this to Priscilla? How could you do that to me?"

Johnny nodded. He seemed to understand:

„What can I say? That's how show business works, Idy. It doesn't ask about people's feelings. That's the price you have to pay if you want to be in the spotlight. All we care about is you, Idy. Elvis just had found out that Priscilla is cheating on him. He lets her believe that he has no clue but it destroys him every day a little more. But he is hanging in there. You know what keeps him going? It's his love for you, Idy."

I didn't answer anything. For a short moment nobody was saying a word in the green Cadillac and we kept on driving into the night. Suddenly a feeling stroke me out of the blue.

„Oh god, Johnny, what if Elvis won't survive this?

Johnny's face went very serious. I felt the blood in my veins turn into ice. Johnny hit the gas pedal a little harder while I looked out of the window  into the dark night before us.

-to be continued-