VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/70

An unbearable silence filled the room. I held my breath. Finally I had revealed my secret. I felt relieved but I was also afraid of what might happen next. I looked into Elvis' face. Deep inside me I made a pact with myself. I swore that whatever might happen right now, I would be strong. If Elvis would end it all, it would be no reason for me to give up on the babies. I felt a strong love for the unborn children inside my body. I knew that I would be able to raise them without their famous father. In this moment I suddenly felt an unstoppable power that flooded my entire body. I was ready to face my destiny.

I took a deep breath then I stood right in front of Elvis. I felt stronger than ever before. I looked him right into his blue eyes, but he said nothing. Surprisingly, this time I wasn't able to read what he was thinking. He seemed to be completely empty.

„Did you understand what I just said?"

But Elvis continued to stare at me. He didn't even move. He seemed to be completely frozen.

„You are the father, without any doubt.", I assured him, „Don't think that Michael is...."

I was interrupted because Elvis suddenly grabbed my hands.

„Y...you are expecting a baby?", his voice and his hands were shaking.

„Well, to be honest, it's two babies.", I wanted to tell him nothing but the truth.

„But...", he gasped for air, „Why didn't you...?

„Why didn't I tell you earlier?"

Elvis nodded. There was an expression in his eyes, I had never seen before.

„I was scared that you might don't want to be a dad. I was afraid that it wasn't the right time and I thought you might leave me.", I exhaled. It felt like a heavy load had been put off my shoulders. Elvis closed his eyes.

„I know that it wasn't fair not to tell you. But I simply wasn't ready. I have overcome my fear and you know what? Whatever you will say, I love the babies and I will give birth to them. If necessary, I will raise them all by myself, without you."

I watched Elvis opening his eyes. Tears ran down his cheeks. His gaze said it all. Suddenly he pulled me into his arms. He squeezed me as tight as he could and sobbed: "You just made me the happiest man on the planet, Idy!"

He let his tears run free. He kissed my hands, than he embraced me again.

„You are expecting twins and I'm the father? Is that true, Idy?", I felt how nervous I was. Than he looked up: „Did you hear this Mama? I'm going to be a dad!". I understood that the twins must have been of a tremendous significants for him because his twin brother Jesse had died at birth. Elvis once told me about it. He also had told me that Gladys never overcame the death of her first born son. That was the reason why she lived her life in constant worry about Elvis. I was surprised by his reaction. In this moment nothing seemed to be of more importance to him but the babies. Suddenly the strain of the past minutes disappeared. Finally I was able to relax and fell into his arms. I pressed my cheek against his. Now I felt safe. That's how we stood right in the middle of Sammy Davis' dressing room, holding each other and crying with joy.

„Elvis!", I whispered in his ear, „I'm ready to have a life with you. And if it won't be our destiny to stay together, you should know that I will always fight for our children and our love, no matter what."

There was a sparkle in his eyes. He kissed me softly. After his lips left mine, I grabbed his neck and pulled him back to me. I just couldn't get enough of his kisses.

Suddenly somebody knocked at the door. I didn't want to stop kissing Elvis. Nobody was supposed to disturb our joy. But I guessed that living with Elvis wasn't possible without any interruptions.

„Come in!", I said and hated Sammy Davis for claiming back his dressing room.

But after the door opened, it wasn't Sammy standing in front of us, it was Michael. He looked surprised as he starred at us:

"I...I don't want to disturb!", he seemed to be embarrassed. Elvis and I hastily wiped away the tears from our faces.

Elvis greeted Michael: „Harris! Please come in. You are not disturbing us at all. Actually it's good to see you because I have good news.", he patted his shoulder, „I just learned that I'm going to be a father. Unbelievable, isn't it?"

I bit my lower lip. Elvis did this on purpose. He knew exactly that this was hurtful to Michael. He let him feel that he had won and Michael wasn't a rival anymore. Then he grabbed my hand. Like a trophy he took me out of the room and he made Michael watching us.

At first I saw confusion in Michael's face. But when I turned around, shortly before I left the dressing room, he threw me a hateful gaze. That's when I suddenly had a bad feeling in my guts.

-to be continued-