VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/56

The sun was shining through the windows of Johnny's green Cadillac. We drove out of town. Every seat in the car was taken. In the front there was Johnny, next to him sat Elvis. I was sitting in the back, next to Colonel Parker. We were on our way to the Warner house. Elvis still struggled with Thomas Warner's death and he insisted in meeting his parents. Finally Johnny had arranged a meeting.

„The FBI agent shot the boy, not you. He also should be here and face these people.", I stated.

„As far as I know he still isn't fit to be questioned.", Elvis answered, „My god, I hope they will forgive me!", nervously he was rubbing his hands against each other. I knew that this must had been the most difficult thing to do in his whole life, except for burying his mother of course. He still hadn't overcome her death. Elvis and I talked a lot about Gladys and the more Elvis told me, the closer I felt to her. As far as I could tell, there was a lot of Gladys in Elvis. His unconditional loyalty and his unbelievable generosity were values that she had taught him. I regretted to never had been able to met her.

„Stop feeling responsible for all that!", I exhorted Elvis.

„But I was the reason why Thomas was there at the first place.", he lowered his had.

„Here we go!", Johnny slowed down the car. We had arrived at the Warner house.

„Come on boy!", the Colonel rested his hand on Elvis' back, „I will go with you."

Elvis turned around: „Stay in the car with Johnny, Idy."

I knew that this was something he had to do on his own. I didn't want to be in his way. I softly squeezed his hand, then he and the Colonel got out of the car.

„Did you tell him already?", Johnny asked, when the doors of the car closed.

„No! He still doesn't know that he is going to be a dad."

„Idy!", Johnny shook his head, „What are you waiting for? Someday the babies will fall out of you. Will you then tell him: << And by the way, these two are yours>>?", Johnny made me laugh.

„You are funny!", I giggled, „I will tell him as soon as we will be alone and he won't be preoccupied with other things or too tired to listen to what I have to tell him. And I won't tell him when the Colonel is around. He is the last person I want to know about the babies. He will kill me when he finds out."

„Aha! This means you will never tell him, because the boss always will be preoccupied with other things, he always will be too tired, because he is working very hard. The chance of being alone with him is low. Simply tell him! Don't wait for the perfect moment because this moment won't ever come.", Johnny gave me a very serious look, „Besides, the Colonel isn't such a bad guy."

„You think so?", I was surprised about his opinion on the Colonel. My experience with Elvis' manager was totally different. I had the image of a dislikeable, insensitive, moneygrubbing, disgusting and shady guy who loved to drive people mad.

„Tom Parker did a lot for Elvis' career. He treats him like a son. Okay, he is demanding a lot but the boss can count on him, one hundred percent. He was the one who was there for him and Vernon when Gladys died. Besides he deals with everything that is important to Elvis."

„Well, he surely doesn't give a damn about me. This I can tell you for sure!"

„I believe the Colonel doesn't trust you. He once mentioned it. He said he is hoping that you won't break Elvis' heart. He is protecting Elvis and he is seeing some kind of menace in you. Do you understand that?"

„I think so....somehow!", I answered although I was still angry about how the Colonel has been treated me.

Johnny nodded, than he looked through the driving mirror into my eyes: „The thing is, you look a little like Gertrud."

„Gertrud?", I was totally confused, „Who is Gertrud?"

„She was Tom's ex wife. She left him for a younger guy. You look a little like her, you know? Maybe that's why he doesn't trust you."

I instantly checked my face in the mirror: „I don't look like a Gertrud!", I grumbled.

Suddenly Johnny burst out in laughter. I gave him a little smack on the back of his head. When he turned around his head, I was able to spot Elvis and Tom who talked in front of the small house.

„Look!", Johnny pointed at them. I looked out of the window and witnessed how Elvis was talking to Thomas' mother. I saw that he shook his head, with a desperate expression on his face. He dug his face into his hands before he sank down on his knees. When I watched Mrs. Warner bending down to him, taking him into her arms and then kissing his cheek, tears came running down my face.

„Do you think she will forgive him?", I asked Johnny.

Johnny nodded: „She already did, Idy, she already did."

-to be continued-