VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/37

There I was standing, feeling stupid, still holding the breakfast plate in my hands which accidentally had almost fallen down when Johnny hugged me. He took it from my hands and put it somewhere.

„What happened?", I asked.

Elvis didn't even look at me. He was deep in thoughts while he was starring at the table. Now I noticed the numerous newspapers he was studying. When I came closer, I was able to read the headlines.

One of them said: „The King's new toy?"

Underneath the lines there was a picture from last night that showed Elvis and me, kissing.

On another paper I read:

„Who is she? Does Elvis Presley have a secret love affair with that woman?"

I didn't dare to take a look on all the other headlines. Suddenly I was feeling dizzy. Johnny handed me another paper that said:

„Priscilla in tears: Elvis cheated and lied!"

It felt like the room suddenly began to circulate around me. I found it hard to understand the things I was reading.

„But how is that possible? It's only a few hours ago. I had no idea that there were people from the press in the audience."

„They are everywhere!", Johnny stated, „Idy, it's very important, how we will react on this. It's a very delicate situation."

I felt completely overstrained: "What does that mean for us?"

„Well your appearance last night caused a lot of headlines. There will be rumors. I'm afraid that this will do some major damage to the boss' image. We announced the wedding with Priscilla just a few weeks ago. The separation was planned to be at a later date, when the movie and the album would have been a success. But this plan now is obsolete and that's not good at all!", Johnny scratched his head.

My knees felt weak: „Did I do something wrong?", I asked shyly.

But before Johnny was about to answer, Elvis raised his head: „You didn't do anything wrong, Idy.", his hand reached out to me, „Yesterday evening I was just following my feelings, something I haven't done for an eternity and it felt damn right."

He pulled me closer and when I stood right in front of him, he first kissed my hand, then he put his arms around my hips and placed his head on my belly.

„But the record label already called because of all these articles in the papers. If we don't act cautiously we will risk great damage. They are very pissed. They fear that this might result in the dropping of the record sales. People won't accept an affair with a show girl just like that. They already got used to Priscilla. We will not be able to fulfill our contracts. We must not underrate this. The worst case would be the end of the boss' career."

„Well, I got news for you, Johnny!", Elvis gently pushed me away and stood up, „I wouldn't mind at all. I'm done with living up to an image. I want to have a normal life with Idy. She is the love of my life. I don't care about my career. I want to have a family with her and live like anybody else."

Suddenly I choked. I couldn't process what Elvis just had said.

„C...ccan you please repeat that?", I stuttered.

There was this breathtaking smile again. Elvis took me in his arms: „Yes, Idy! You heard absolutely right. I'm willing to give up everything for you and I want to have a family with you."

„But boss there is so much more at stake.", Johnny insisted.

Suddenly Elvis frowned: „You are probably right Johnny. It would not be fair to just think about Idy and me. I'm responsible for my staff, the people from the film production and the record company. I don't want to put their jobs at risk."

For a moment nobody said anything. Johnny kept on reading the headlines. But then suddenly he seemed to be quite excited:

„I have an idea! I'm not sure if this will work but it's worth a try."

„Fire away, Johnny!", Elvis requested.

„We will face our enemies at the front!", Johnny performed a very spectacular gesture.

„What do you mean?", I asked.

„Well, as I said earlier, people are already used to Priscilla as the woman next to Elvis' side. Probably they won't accept somebody else. But how about to wean them from her? We will confront them with you as much as we can until they will think that it had always been you and forget about Priscilla."

I didn't understand anything at all. Johnny noticed the puzzled expression on my face and explained:

"I think it will be the best if we pretend that it had always been you. From now on you will be on Elvis' side every day and everywhere. We will present you as long as it will take to get Priscilla out of their minds. They will forget about her. I will take care of Priscilla. I guess we will be able to buy her silence with a nice amount of money."

„You can bet on that one!" Elvis confirmed, „She always thought about nothing else but money. Johnny, I like your plan very much!", he petted Johnny's shoulder.

„Let's do it then! I will take care of everything, book the flights for Idy, inform the hotels that there will be one additional guest and contact all the press people I know.", Johnny was busy taking a pen out of his pocket and writing something down in his tiny notebook.

My thoughts went crazy, when suddenly I realized something:

„Wait a minute! Book flights for me? Inform the hotels? What are you up to?"

„Of course you will come with us on the promotion tour. You will see, this is fun. We planned some press conferences and performances where Elvis and Ann-Margret will present their new song. I'm really looking forward to having you on board, Idy!", Johnny beamed with joy.

„Wait!", slowly I realized what this would mean for me, „Are you telling me that I will be traveling with you for months?"

Elvis and Johnny nodded.

„Forget it!", I freed myself from Elvis' embrace, „This is my home! I have a job here and I have friends here. I love Las Vegas and I will go nowhere!"

„But Honey. You won't have to work at all. I know that you love your job but wouldn't it be nice if we could travel around the world together? You will see, you gonna like it!", Elvis smiled gently.

I looked into his eyes why I shook my head. But deep inside me I felt that I belonged to him.

Elvis took my hand and placed it on his cheek: „Please, Idy. Don't desert me! I'm totally lost without you!"

My heart was beating very fast and my body was shaking when I heard myself say: „I won't desert you. I will come with you!"

-to be continued-