VIVA LAS VEGAS - 1/65

Michael and I starred at each other without saying a word. Suddenly Jenny pulled me out of the spell in which his eyes had caught me:

„I think I should leave you both alone for a while.", she stood up and offered Michael her seat, „Please, sit down! You might have a lot of to talk about. I will get myself freshened up at the pool."

Michael sat down next to me and smiled. I was completely insecure. I didn't know if he was still angry. His eyes were impenetrable. As always, I wasn't able to read them. When I looked into Elvis' eyes I always knew how he felt right away. Although he was a pretty good actor, he never played in real life. He always showed exactly what was going on in his mind. But Michael was the opposite. He was very self-controlled in every situation and he always seemed to be at ease. He came closer. It felt awkward. Jenny's words had made me think about how I had used him and I felt ashamed about it. It would have been more than understandable if he yelled at me, if he would blame me for running away with Elvis but instead he grabbed my arms and pulled me closer to him. He bended over to me and kissed me. It was just a little, tender kiss but it was enough to make me forget how to breathe. I choked, then I had to cough, followed by the worst hiccup of my life.

„You...hiccup aren't mad at me anymore, Mi...hiccup...chael? I'm so sorry that I...hiccup...that I ran away just like that, without explaining anything...hiccup...and leaving you behind. You should know...hiccup...that I respect you...and...", I didn't get much further because Michael took my face into his hands and whispered:

„Stop talking!", then he kissed me very passionately, like he never did before. This kiss went right through my heart. I felt dizzy and suddenly there was this feeling like a little electric shock, the same feeling I always had whenever Elvis kissed me. But this kiss didn't last very long because a sudden hiccup separated us.

Michael's eyes had this vulnerable expression. He took my hands and kissed them: „You are cute when you got the hiccups.", he smiled. I chuckled. A huge stone had been taken away from my heart. Michael obviously had forgiven me. I was overwhelmed by his passion. Never before had I felt drawn to him like in that moment.

„I'm so glad that you are doing alright, Idy!", he said with his distinctive low voice, „I was worried about you. After we had received the death threat I was sure that it wasn't save to be around Elvis. Then I read about the horrific incident that happened in Nashville. Idy, the shot could have hit you! I never would forgive myself if something would have happened to you."

"But...hiccup...I'm okay."

„However, it's good that you are back and I can take care of you. Now we will be able to make plans for our future.", he paused, then I noticed that he was gasping for air: „Will you marry me?"

„What?", I was totally shocked, „Could you please say that again?"

„Idy!", Michael was still holding my hands and looked me deep in the eyes, „Will you marry me?"

So I hadn't misheard. My thoughts went wild. My head went red and my cheeks began to glow. What was I supposed to say now? Were the feelings I had for him enough to become his wife? How did I feel about Elvis? Did I still love Elvis? In my mind I was punished by that image of him and Ann-Margret together. Then I recalled Jenny's words. Was she right by saying that this kiss probably meant nothing at all? What about the twins? Should I lie to Michael and tell him that the babies were his? I was completely puzzled when I starred at him. He was sill smiling. Well, there was his pokerface back again. He never showed how he really felt.

„I....I....hiccup...have to think about it.", I answered, „Please excuse me!"

Hastily I left the table without saying any further word. Then I left the bar and Michael behind. I cried when I dug my face into my hands. My feelings were a total mess. I felt that Elvis and also Michael had a special place in my heart, everyone on his own way. I wasn't sure if I could bear to share Elvis with all the other women my whole life through. But maybe, when I told him about our little family, he would change, or maybe not. How would Michael react when he learned about the pregnancy and that Elvis was the father? Would he still want to marry me? Could I ever be happy with Michael, who never showed his feelings? I remembered Elvis' tears after he had been told about Thomas' death. Elvis had so much temper. He simply showed when he was sad, happy or angry. It was a very natural thing for him and it made him the man that he was. But he was trapped between two worlds, that almost tore him apart. The private Elvis and the Elvis who he was on stage and in front of his fans. Was I ready to go through it all with him? Did I still have a choice after I had run away from Graceland? I pictured him being furious the moment he realized that I had left him. Could I see myself being happy with Michael? The man who I was sure that he would never cheat on me? The man who always took his time for me? But he wasn't the man who made my knees go weak, whenever I just looked at him. That man who missed to be playful, the man who hadn't this breathtaking smile. I wasn't able to sort all these thoughts out. Looking for some time alone without Michael, Jenny or a hotel guests, I ran into the showgirl's changing room. At this time of the day, nobody was there. I felt completely exhausted when I sank down on the chair in front of a make up table. I was confused, hurt and tired.

I let the tears flow and didn't notice that somebody approached me from behind, not until I felt something solid and ice cold, touching my neck. I looked up. In the mirror I saw Jerry, holding a gun against my head.

-to be continued-