VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/79

I wanted to make sure that it was really him. I put the padlock in front of the door and opened it only a bit just enough to be able to see who was standing on the other side of the door.

„Oh my god!", it burst out of me when I recognized Elvis' sweaty face. I took away the padlock and let him in.

"There were people from the press in front of the hotel. I'm not sure if they followed me. I hope not.", he was completely out of breath.

"Did you run?"

Elvis wiped away the sweat from his face and nodded while he was gasping for air.

„It's hell out there. The entire hotel is surrounded by reporter. I knew that something like that would happen.", he looked exhausted while he let himself fall into an armchair.

I didn't know what to say first. I was surprised that suddenly he was there, out of nothing.

„What are you doing here? You are suppose to be in Florida!"

„But now I'm here!", there was a tiny smile on his face. Was that a good sign? Did it mean that he wasn't mad at all?

„Did those press people in front of the hotel bother you?", I asked.

Elvis shook his head: „I was faster and I had this."

He took a giant pair of glasses out of his pocket and put it on. Then he pulled a false mustache out of the other pocket and stuck it underneath his nose.

„How do I look?"

I chuckled: „You look very enchanting and very smart."

Elvis frowned: „Only now?", he asked and winked at me.

I was relieved to see him in such a good modd. My heart jumped as I looked into his eyes.

„I...I... really would like to kiss you now but I totally understand if you don't want me to because I screwed up, big time. If you are mad at me, I totally get it. I'm also mad, at me, not at you, I mean. I didn't mean that this reporter, I need to explain something, everybody stares at me like I'm an alien or something because they think that I lied to you. But David is just a friend, somebody that I know. I'm not married. I missed you so...damn I love you so much!", I gasped for air, my body was shaking because I was so nervous. There I was, like a little school girl, standing in front of the king. I hoped and prayed that he would forgive me.

He got out of the armchair and smiled at me: „Everything is fine, my queen! I didn't understand a single word you just said, but what I understood was that you love me and that's the most important thing. I don't care what is written in the tabloids. I have to tell you something really important. I made a decision."

When he was standing so close to me and I could smell his scent and look into his beautiful eyes, I was overwhelmed by a deep loving feeling. Before he was able to continue, I pressed my lips on his mouth.

There it was again, this irresistible chuckle. Elvis took me into his arms. I felt the warmth of his body, his hands that were sliding down my dress. Tenderly I pressed my cheek on his. We stood for quite a while, without saying anything and just holding each other tight.

„I don't want you to leave ever again!", I sighed and leaned my head on his chest. Elvis let his fingers run through my hair.

„Don't worry!", he said softly, „I won't go back to Florida."

„What? Say it again please!"

„You heard right. I will not return to Florida. I think you could say that I quit and I will quit everything else. I'm tired of being Elvis Presley. From now on I want to have an ordinary life with my wife and my children.", Elvis' eyes sparkled while he smiled.

I couldn't say anything. I stared at him. Suddenly my dream was about to come true, the dream to have a totally normal life, away from all the madness about him and I was more than happy that Elvis obviously wanted the same.

But then, suddenly, I had all these pictures in my mind. I thought about the crowd that had gathered in front of the hotel in Nashville. The fans had been fighting for Elvis, begging that he would not give up and I was wondering if it would be fair to disappoint these young people and to abandon them.

Elvis instantly noticed that I was doubtful.

"What's wrong? Aren't you happy? I thought that's what you want, Idy."

„It's what I want, from the bottom of my heart.", I assured, „But don't you sometimes think about Thomas' death and the fans that supported you? Do you really want to disappoint them?"

Elvis looked quite distressed: "But Idy, of course I think about it all the time and I think about the circumstances that led to his death. This never should have happened. Thomas is the only reason why I made this decision. Without all that hype around me, this would never had happen and he would be still alive."

„But without you he wouldn't have had an idol to look up to and without you Karl and Diane would have ended up homeless. Please Elvis do you really want to do this?

„It's done. I'm tired of it. These press people are getting more and more aggressive. I don't want to do this anymore. It's over!"

„I saw the fight you had with this reporter on TV.", I confessed.

Elvis shook his head. He looked pretty frustrated: „I knew that I would be the top headline for these terrible TV shows. It's too exhausting, Idy. I'm done."

-to be continued-