VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/28

Finally we arrived at the hospital. When we asked for Mr. Steve Smith, we were lead to a part of the building that was separated from the others. There were a special security door. Somebody opened it for us by using a coded card. In the hall way we met Charly. He was all alone and sitting in a chair in front of a room which I assumed would be Elvis' sickroom. When Charly noticed us he stood up immediately and greeted us.

„Charly! Have you heard anything yet? How is he doing?", I asked nervously.

Charly embraced me and squeezed me tight.

„He is alive! Idy, if you hadn't been there, who knows what would had happened. I'm so glad, that you were there."

I kissed him on the cheek:

„What did the doctor say?", I still was worried.

„As far as I heard it's not over yet. He's still in danger but the doctors are positive that he can make it. Good news is that the Colonel gave me back my job."

„That's wonderful!", I was happy for Charly but I noticed his worried face.

„Yeah, I'm also happy. But I hope that this is also what Mr. Preseley wants. He was so damn mad at me."

„Listen!", I took Charly's hand, „I know that it's exactly what he wants. I also know that it wasn't his intention. Charly, it's not your fault. The only one who is responsible for this misery is me. I hope I will be able to put this chaos to an end."

Charly winked at me in order to cheer me up: „You can do this, Idy!"

„Can we see him?", Johnny already was at the door.

Charly nodded and stepped back. I hesitated for a moment, than I joined Johnny and entered the room. The room was quite big, probably too big for the single bed that stood in its middle. I remained at the door and starred on the floor. Johnny put the bag with Elvis' clothes on a chair than he approached the bed and looked down on Elvis.

„He seems to be asleep. He looks quite good. Come on! Look for yourself.", he gave me a sign.

I was still hesitating. Something inside me held me back from seeing Elvis again in such critical condition.

„Come on!", Johnny asked me once again.

It took all my guts, then I slowly went to the bed. I had to force myself to look down. Elvis looked very pale. His lips were almost white. I touched his forehead very carefully. It felt pretty hot.

„Do you think he got temperature?", I asked Johnny. This scared the hell out of me.

„I will look for a doctor.", but before Johnny had finished the sentence, the door opened.

„Ah, good evening!", a tall guy in a white clinical groan greeted us, „Are you with Mr. Presley?"

Johnny introduced himself and told him that I was Elvis' cousin. He obviously was trying to prevent me from being asked to leave because I wasn't a part of the family.

„Please Doc, what can you tell us about his condition?", he asked.

The doctor folded his arms in front of his chest:

"Well, we had to do nasty work by pumping all out his stomach. His body didn't like that all. But after we brought back his blood circulation it doesn't look that bad anymore. Thank god he is a rather strong guy. At the moment he has got high temperature but that's a good sign. It shows us that his body had activated the right measures of defense. Of course the temperature should decrease until tomorrow. This means, he still is in danger. We will have to wait what the night brings. A few minutes ago he was awake for a little while. We asked him questions to check on his brain activities. He knew exactly who he is, not exactly how he got into the hospital but he even remembered that he took these pills. He had been awake for short moments after that but the fever always puts him back to sleep again. We should give him time. What do you think?", he cheerfully patted Johnny's shoulder, "You are his assistant, you know him better than anyone. What bothers me is, why did he take these pills? The worst thing is that he took them with alcohol. He could have died instantly. Then he would have become one of these young stars that died way too early, like James Dean for example. It's a shame, my daughter still is mourning his death. Please tell your boss that we would like to hear his music a long time from now. I would like to give you some good advice in order to solve that problem as soon as possible. I know some very good psychologists. I mean, the show business sometimes can be...."