VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/77

Thank god, Jenny and Frank were satisfied with my explanation that David was nothing more but a good friend of mine. Frank promised to do everything he could to prevent that article from being published. He didn't waist one second and left right away in order to make some phone calls. This evening, I went to bed with a very bad feeling. If the reporter would print the article, I would be in big trouble.

The next morning, Jenny and I met for breakfast, we and the latest issue of the Daily Mirror. I hoped and prayed that Frank had been able to pull some strings and that we wouldn't find anything about me or Elvis in the paper.

My heart was beating fast when I entered the breakfast room. Jenny was already waiting for me. I noticed the newspaper on the table in front of her.

„Idy! Please sit down!", she welcomed me.

„And? Is there something in the paper?", I was nervous.

„Sit down first.", Jenny turned the newspaper upside down. I wasn't able to read the headlines but from her gaze I could tell that she had bad news.

„Listen! Frank told me that he really tried his best. After he asked his contacts, it turned out that there is no reporter with the name of Peter Hill working for the Daily Mirror. He used a false name."

„This bastard! Don't tell me that the article has been printed!", I grabbed the newspaper.

Jenny's face went very serious: „I'm so sorry, Idy. Frank wasn't able to stop it."

My hands were shaking when I turned the first page. I read the big letters: „Elvis Presley fooled by callgirl! His new flame is already married. Will he return to Priscilla?"

I covered my mouth with my hand. I was devastated.

„Oh my god, Jenny! What have I done? Elvis will be furious when he reads this!"

Jenny placed her hand on mine but instead of comforting me, she upbraided me: „How could you be so careless? You should know by now how these people from the press are. This will put Elvis into a lot of trouble."

„I know, I'm blaming myself enough, but what's done is done. I had no clue!", I tried to see a spark of sympathy in Jenny's face.

Finally she smiled at me: „We will work this out, Idy. You will see. We already had gone through so much together!", then she hugged me.

I took a deep breath. I needed to be hugged.

„I'm afraid that Elvis will leave me because I'm bad for his career. He will leave me and the kids. Then Michael's prediction will come true."

„What?", Jenny looked at me with disbelief, „Michael told you this? Do you really believe this shit?"

I nodded: „That's how it is going to be."

„Listen, Idy!", Jenny took my face into her hands and made me look right into her eyes, „You cannot trust Michael! He is weired. I have a feeling that he is up to something."

I was completely puzzled: „Why do you think so?", I trusted Michael and it was new to me that somebody would even question that.

„I don't know, it's just a feeling.", Jenny shrugged, „Forget it! Let's have breakfast. We won't be able to do anything but wait and see what will happen next."

I nodded. She was right. It was senseless to brood over the article. I decided to enjoy the day with my dear friend.

Jenny had a day off and for a change I felt really good that day after the pregnancy had given me some hard days. Jenny and I quickly forgot the article and went out. We strolled down Freemont Street, went shopping, ate and enjoyed every second of that sunny day. In the evening we sat in the audience at the Sands and watched the performance of the Rat Pack. The guys did great, the show was a big success. Frank invited us for drinks after the show. Of course it was only orange juice for me. While the hotel guests took their drinks and talked, a little TV was playing in the background. Jenny and I were laughing about a joke Frank just had made, when suddenly I heard the words "Elvis Presley" loud and clear. I recalled the last time when I saw Elvis live on TV. Back then he had announced his engagement with Priscilla. The memory still hurt badly. Obviously Jenny had heard it, too:

"Are they talking about Elvis? Shhhhht...please be quiet. What are they talking about?"

Frank, Jenny and I stared at the screen. The narrator of the evening program reported: "This afternoon a meeting with our reporter John Goodman and the superstar Elvis Presley had taken place and it had an interesting aftermath. Watch for yourself!"

Then they played a short video scene. John Goodman stood in front of the gates of the film studios in Florida, where Elvis shot his movie.

„I'm here at the entrance of the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studios where Elvis Presley is doing his brand new movie „Girl Happy". We were lucky. The king himself took a little time for a short interview."

Then the gates opened and Elvis stepped out. He waved at the camera. Seeing him made my heart melt. I was longing for him desperately.

„Elvis, nice to meet you. Thank you so much for taking your time for us."

Elvis smiled: „It's my pleasure, John. It's pretty hot out here, my boy..my boy.", he joked and beamed at the camera.

I instantly felt butterflies inside my stomach. But then the interview took a sudden twist. I watched how the reporter showed Elvis the newspaper.

„Oh no!", I recognized the front page. It was the latest issue of the Daily Mirror.

„Did you already read the newspaper today?", the reporter asked.

Elvis was still smiling. Seemingly he had no clue.

„What is written there?", he asked.

I heard the reporter reading the headline. Of course everybody in front of the bar was staring at me. Some of them shook their heads and threw me looks of reproach. I wanted to run away but at the same time I also wanted to see Elvis' reaction.

While Jenny tried to comfort me by striking my hand, I stopped breathing and bit my lower lip. It felt like an eternity until Elvis finished reading the headline. When he was done, there was a moment of silence. Elvis' lowered his head and stared at the floor. He didn't say anything.

But the reporter continued asking questions: "What are you thinking about that, Elvis?".

- to be continued-