VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/52

Meanwhile Colonel Parker had the unpleasant burden to tell the fans in front of the venue to go home.

„That's the end!", he murmured when he returned, seemingly desperate, „Elvis has left the building, probably for good!"

He was shaking his head and seemed to by quite distressed when he sat down, wiping away the sweat from his forehead with a tissue.

We were all standing there, completely frozen and helpless.

„So, this is it?", Charly asked, „What happens now? Do we pack our stuff and go home?"

„I think so.", Parker answered, „Folks, pack your stuff together. That's all for today. There will be no show tonight. But please come back tomorrow, maybe he will change his mind. We won't give up so early."

„Yes!", „No doubt about it!", „We will stand by his side, no matter what!", „We will get over this!", the team didn't want to give up and most of all, they refused to let Elvis down. When they began to pack the technical equipment, I went over to Charly. I knew that he would drive back to the hotel.

"Hey, Charly, can you give me a ride back to the hotel?"

"Of course, Idy. Listen, why don't you talk to the boss? I think you would be able to make him change his mind. You are his one and only. The future of the entire team depends on it. What am I supposed to tell Maggie when I won't have a job tomorrow? We will marry at Graceland in a few days, if the boss still wants us to. It's horrible. The boy's death changes everything. Will you help us?", Charly's eyes were so full of hope.

„I will try.", I lied. What I really wanted was to get back to the hotel as quickly as possible, pack my stuff and leave with the next flight back to Las Vegas. This was the plan. If I wasn't able to wake up from this dream, at least I needed to get away from Elvis as far as I could. I hoped that this would prevent me from causing more chaos. Elvis' life and the lives of the people surrounding him would be back to normal. I was sure that this would be the solution to all problems.

When we arrived at the hotel we realized that the fans hadn't gone home. They gathered in front of the hotel instead.

„Oh no!", I sighed, „Why are they still here?", I was on the edge. I didn't understand what made them waiting for hours in front of the hotel. I was scared of the crowd. I feared that the author of the death threat still might be among these people. But Charly was so happy when he saw them:

„They just love Elvis and they stand beside him. The boss has the best fans in the world. That's great.", he was totally excited.

I instead didn't want anything more than to get through the crowd quickly and get into the hotel. The fans made a lot of noise. They kept on shouting: "Elvis, we love you!", "Elvis, don't give up!", "Elvis, you are the best!". Some of them sang his songs and somebody had brought a guitar and played all the well known melodies. There were posters with Elvis' face on them. Some brought handwritten notes for the king.

"Idy! Idy!", I stopped immediately. I was surprised because a smaller group of fans seemed to know my name. When I turned around there were more and more voices calling my name. They waved at me. I felt insecure and gazed at Charly.

„Go! Johnny's campaign was successful. Don't you read the newspaper? You are well known in public and the people love you. They already forgot Priscilla. Go and talk to them!"

„Forgot Priscilla?", I thought, „But this must not happen!". Me talking to the fans might cause even more unpleasant consequences.

„Idy! How is Elvis doing? What happened? Will he end his career?", a girl gazed at me with hopeful eyes.

This question drew my attention: „Why do you think he might quit?", I asked her.

„The boy is dead, isn't he?", I nodded, close to tears, „This must be horrible for you and Elvis. I know that he probably thinks about ending his career now."

I was completely amazed about how well his fans knew him. I was curious, so I went over to that girl: „It's a tragedy and I can assure you that Elvis is suffering badly and me too."

What happened then burned a deep mark into my heart. Suddenly the crowed began to move. They all gathered around Charly and me. The hugged us and all of a sudden there was silence. We were laying in each other's arms, some were crying, some were stroking my head in order to give me comfort. They handed me their notes with cheerful words for Elvis. Their love overwhelmed me. Suddenly I felt a strong bond between me and them and I realized that this was a big family that never would let him down. The relationship between Elvis and his fans was a perfect symbiosis. When I looked into these young faces that gazed at me so hopefully, I suddenly knew that I needed to do everything to make Elvis change his mind. I owed it to his fans and I owed it to Elvis.

-to be continued-