A Beautiful Stranger

"I'm surprised you haven't heard about him yet, he's the gossip. Apparently the girls fawn over him and he hasn't talked to anyone. He looks cold."
I smile wider.
"For your information, I don't talk to anyone at our school, and in the halls I have my music blasting in my ears so it's not like I hear the bullshit. But, the guy sounds hot. I kinda wanna see for myself."
"Don't.  I'm serious. He seems like bad news, not just his looks but I heard he got expelled from his last school and had to move, and he lives by himself too. He seems pretty scary. Maybe a gang member? Just, don't get involved."
He takes another hit and I pout.
"Fine. Whatever."
I lay back down and close my eyes, dreading going back home.
I walk in the door around the time I usually would and my guardian isn't here. That's good, I have some time before I get blasted with shit. I go to my room, a small place in the basement, and it's cold today. I change into my shorts and crop top and wince when I put my shirt on. The fabric runs across the lashes on my back and I want to scream. That was from a few days ago when I talked back to her. She has her own collection of torture devices. Sometimes she makes me choose. I chose the whip and it hurt like hell.
It's not like anyone notices, or cares for that matter. The boys have never seen my back  even when we went swimming I kept my shirt on. It wasn't the first time she whipped me. I want tattoos to cover them, to forget this hell hole. I sigh and grab a baggy hoodie to cover myself and maybe soften her beatings.  I dread when she comes back.
I get my school laptop and focus on my English essay and homework assignments. I check to see if we were assigned anything today in my classes, but today was a lazy day for everyone.
I hear a loud thud. What was that? It sounded like it came from the backyard. I stop typing and listen closely. I hear a thud again and a grunt. Is someone trying to come in? I put my laptop on top of my bed and start tip towing downstairs. I go into the kitchen, it's in front of the house, and grab a knife from the drawer. I have my phone in my left hand and the knife in my other hand. 9-1-1 displays on my phone and I call, slowly telling the lady my address and telling her to send the police. I hang up and place my phone on the kitchen table. I crouch down and make my way into the back room with big windows looking into the backyard.
I slide my head a little to look out into the backyard and see some figure wearing a black and crouched down over something. What? I notice the figure is built and I assume it's a guy. I squeeze the knife in my hand and realize I'm shaking. The guy stands up and dusts his hands off. There's a patch of grass missing. Did he dig something up or dig a hole?
The guy looks from side to side and looks behind him, into the window. I whip my head back against the wall and hold my breath. He was tan and had tan skin. He's tall, and he has a neck tattoo. I peek through the window and he's staring right at me. I gasp and drop the knife, scooting back and bumping into boxes. He just stares at me. He has brown eyes and he has a hand tattoo. He cocks his head at me and smirks. What the fuck?
"The-the police are coming dickwad! Get the fuck out of my backyard!"
I shout, watching him stand. He keeps staring at me and I gasp for air. He walks off the porch and jumps over the fence. What the fuck hurt happened?