Part Twenty-Two (Better or Worse?)

Twenty-two

[•_•]
Bella's POV

The house, or let me be specific, my room is literally so noisy. Dad is not around and that's a good thing because they way my classmates and friends (who are currently gathered in my room) are talking in loud voices would drive him nuts.

I thought it was only the classroom that could be that noisy but I was wrong. Peace, Wunmi and Somto are all inside my room right now saying different things I can't even keep up with.

"No, the blue gown looks mature and responsible." Peace said. Her hand feeling the blue material on my bed.

"But the red gown will make her look more confident and that's more important in winning the contest." Wunmi, my classmate with low-cut hair who's a bit on the plumb side and has dark skin, said.

"No, pink is perfect. You guys know that this contest is a feminine contest and pink is so every girl's colour. The more feminine and young she appears, the higher her chances of winning." Somto countered, twisting her mouth to one side.

"Mtcheww!"

"Look at this one."

Both Peace and Wunmi retorted at same time.

"This girls you're..." Somto was about to say before I cut in.

"Girls please...not right now. I called for you three because I need people to help me with what I'm going for and not make things worst for me.

"The dress doesn't have to be a problem. I can get a dress with a different colour or a better design. I just want to know what to expect tomorrow." I pleaded with them, rubbing my temples to show how drained I am.

"Okay...well," Wunmi rubbed her palms together. "Do you have any movie or video that we could watch that shows something like this?"

I thought for a while but couldn't come up with any. I watch videos on YouTube, either from my phone or dad's laptop but it's always action themed or horror movies.

"How about 'Barbie in the Princess Charm school', or 'Barbie and the Diamond Castle'. They're cool ones and you would see different hairstyles and different clothe designs." Peace quipped in and began to hum to the lyrics of Barbie and the Diamond Castle.

I recognized the tune;

Here we are
Far from home
A little bit hungry
And a little alone...

I can't remember all the lyrics.

"Who's talking about Barbie here? Abeg! Talk of better movies like Highschool Musical, Hannah Montana, those real things and not plastics." Wunmi rolled her eyes at Peace.

"Yeah those are sharp movies. There's a movie store in the shopping mall located here in our estate, let's go buy one." I told them before standing up to look for where I dropped my purse.

"I'm not going with you guys, I'll wait here until when you return." Somto announced and laid down on my queensized bed.
The three of us ignored her and left to buy the movies.

Two hours later we were done watching the movies, I couldn't believe that such tranquility could exist in this house with the girls around.
They helped me decide on the hairstyle and dress I would wear tomorrow and helped me with some Frequently Asked Questions in the course of the contest.

I made sure to set a reminder on my phone, to call my mother and Miss Angela so they could help me with some advice and guidance.
The girls left together after we had a small party throwing things and chasing each other round the house. They also have to get ready for tomorrow.

...

My closest competitor is Daphne Okoro, AKA Her Imperial Majesty I of Great Citizens' Hall. That girl is just too full of herself and truly I've had it up to the end of my rope with her. She acts like she's already the winner,I understand that she's always been winning but being humble for a while ain't gonna kill her. Jeez!

The contest had like four rounds now only HRH Daphne and I remain for the last round. I didn't want to win that badly since I'll be leaving the school soon but my girlfriends persuaded me to, added to HRH's sorry attitude. I can't let her have the last laugh.

For the last round we were to give a personal life-changing experience that we've been through. Something that would inspire the younger students and cause them to aim higher. I changed from the royal blue, off-shoulder peacock-tail dress I wore during the previous rounds, to a cerise coloured straight gown with a small silt at the left leg. I talked about my parents divorce and how I was affected, yes, I wasn't ashamed to share that part of my life.

Daphne only talked about how success-driven she's been and how she'll do anything to get what she wants. I could feel that there's more to what she said, I feel she pretends to be who she's not.

When the contest was declared over by Mr Chuks Anayo, the form master of JS3C came up to the stage. He took the microphone and whirled it around before talking.

...

I was declared the winner, it's true that Daphne got a larger vote in the junior section but I won the popular and electoral votes. By popular and electoral it means that, you have a higher vote in the senior section as well as the votes of the school functionaries.

I didn't know how it happened. Timmi, Daphne's sidekick had requested that the vote be counted again and it was, still I emerged the winner. A lot of students congratuled me, some asked for my autograph while few took photos with me. I celebrated with my friends and classmates for only a little bit before my dad came to pick me up. I offered to drop my friends at their houses but they turned it down.

They said they have to wait for their younger siblings to collect their results before they can go home.
Dad ordered take out and got my favourite ice cream flavour at Coldstone, everyone in the house had a good time.

I called my mother and sent her all the photos I took, she sounded so proud of me and I was happy about that. When I tried calling aunt Angela it wasn't connecting and when it eventually did, she wasn't picking up. I really wonder what happened to her. I decided to leave her a text instead.

She was a great help to me during the days she spent with us and I finally began to realize what father likes about her. She's a good confidant and great listener, I can't wait to spend more time with her and hopefully her mystery daughter.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

THANKS FOR READING. PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS.

DAPHNE HAS BEEN DEFEATED BY BELLA OF ALL PEOPLE, HOW DO YOU THINK THEIR RELATIONSHIP IS GOING TO BE FROM NOW ON?

SO A QUICK REMINDER TO Cecilianlamishor  AND VivianOgah, GIRLS HERE'S A NEW CHAPTER. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR LOVE

ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ