Part Forty-Six (Last name problem)

Part Forty-Six

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

David's POV

As the cab slowly moved down the streets, in the direction of our compound, I lost count of how many kiosks could be spotted before our house. Ikenna followed me home because he wanted me to pay the taxi fare as he knew I would, and honestly, I wasn't in the mood to argue with him or anyone else. After Nnenna caught me talking to the guys, after she overheard our conversation, she and I got into a heated argument. Or rather, she hurled a lot of words at me, cause I kept quiet the entire time. I tried getting her to listen to what I had to say, all to no avail. I was glad when Hassan instructed and made sure the other boys left, and he gave us some privacy.

“Nnenna...Nne, let me explain please,” I pleaded.

She marched towards me and the next thing I knew, she released a resounding slap across my face. “Keep your useless explanation to yourself, how could I have missed the signs that you were this horrible. Then the saying is true...‘love truly is blind’, but I would rather say I was obsessed.”

Her calm face that was normally smiling and happy, became the total opposite at that moment. She looked so furious that the tip of her nose— which was runny cause of emotions, turned red. Her eyes blazing with anger and mouth pinned to a thin line,  causing her chubby cheeks to puff out even more. At a point I got terrified of the girl standing before me, she wasn't like the Nnenna I was used to. She thoroughly changed at that time.

“What did I ever do to you David, was I not staying on my own when you came with your wahala, did I tell you to chyke me. You're wicked for doing this to me David, you're very wicked.” she sniffed, the tears threatening to pour.

I was too stupefied to utter a word, instead I gawked at her. My heart felt constricted and entrapped inside my ribcage, at that point I felt like it was swelling with mixed emotions. I've never liked it when a girl cried in front of me even though I wasn't the reason for her tears, but in this case, I caused Nnenna to shed these years and I didn't feel comfortable seeing her like that. I needed to say something, or at least try to console her. But in her current state, I know she won't let me too close.

“Okay yes, I admit I agreed to the dare to chyke you and make you like me, but I learnt that what I did was terrible. I regret it baby please forgive me...”

“Don't you dare,” her voice was hoarse but she wasn't going to let the tears spill, “don't ever call me that again. You've succeeded in doing one thing though, you've just proved to me that boys like you are utterly heartless and can't be trusted. And you... you've succeeded in making me a laughing stock of our set, congrats David. It's a good thing this relationship ended even before it began.”

I felt goosebumps all over my body, my armpits began to dampen with perspiration. She wasn't going to say what I was thinking, was she?

“No, babe no...”
Tawai! Another slap landed on my left cheek, I must admit that for someone so quiet, she could slap really hard my cheeks burned.

“I told you not to call me that. My mother was right after all...boys are nothing but distraction, so I'm ending this... whatever this was, I need to focus on myself and my studies. Goodbye David, don't ever come after me.” she turned and walked out the door and out of my life.

I felt helpless to try to stop her from going out. I wanted to pull her back and shout at her, let her realize that I made a mistake but I really liked her and I took this relationship more serious than any other fling of my life. I was going to break down in tears and just at that minute, Daphne walked in. Saying nothing, she pulled me in an embrace. That was exactly what I needed, but I couldn't get it from Daphne because it would feel like leading her on and pretending that anything could happen between us. I pulled away and offered her an apologetic smile.