Part Twenty-nine (Red is not always love)

Part Twenty nine

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

“You're in my class for real?!” I had asked when I saw her seated on of the chairs in my class; the morning when I came to school. I couldn't believe my eyes even though I had sleepless nights thinking about what she told me.
Precious Nduka is my classmate now.
I felt giddy just thinking about it.

Sooner than later, our friendship blossomed into something more and before you know it I was on my knees; with a hibiscus flower that I had picked on my way to school, proposing that she become my girlfriend. I knew that I wasn't working with my sense at that time, but the problem was that I don't care. I just believed that I loved her too much to care. We were seen everywhere. There wasn't any party she was invited and I wasn't present and vice versa; and there wasn't any game I had to play after school that she wouldn't wait behind to cheer for me.
It was true love for me. We continued in our fervent and steadfast relationship until one day; and as it is said, 'all things must come to an end.'
So did my foolishness and obsession end.

A day after her fifteenth birthday, I saw the shock of my life. She was taking photos of the scholarship form I had with UNICEF. I was shocked and walked towards her to ask her why she would do such a thing; only to find out that she was taking photos and sending them to Lanre.

"What is this for?" I shouted and pulled the paper out from the desk.

"Ehm...it was..." She chuckled nervously and started walking closer to me. I moved back as she came.

"You know it was just..." She started mumbling some words I couldn't hear and broke down in cold sweat. Her face soon became covered with water.
It was then that I remembered; Lanre was my closest competitor and second best player in the football game that had awarded me the scholarship.

At that moment nothing else mattered to me. I ran out of the class to the Principal's office as fast as my legs could carry me and presented the form to him. After calming me down and asking a few questions, he called Precious too. The interrogation later revealed that Lanre was her boyfriend and had convinced her to help him get a photo of the form. With his dad having a higher power than mine, he could tamper with the proposition and get the scholarship in his favour.
I was tongue-tied after the revelation. I never would have believed had someone told me, that Precious would be this sly and wicked.

The rumour spread throughout the school for quite awhile and I was the victim of scorn and pity. I hated it. It was the worst period of my educational life.
Precious on the other hand, was expelled from the school and I later found out from Hassan that she wasn't even as rich as she portrayed herself to be. She lived with her aunt and uncle and have always been a greedy person.
She accepted Lanre's proposal because he was rich and had gifted her an Itel phone on her birthday.

Looking at her now, all I felt was repulsion. She's still a sight to behold, I'll give her that but whenever I remembered what she did, goosebumps run through my body. She's putting on a red crop top and skinny black shorts with black shoes. She had her arm wrapped over a dark, taller boy's shoulder. They were looking through the chocolate rack before her face turned towards me.

My body went still. I couldn't decide if I should smile at her or pretend not to see her. Her face contorted into shock,   that meant she wasn't expecting to see me again in her life. She whispered something into the boy's ear who only nodded in reply, then she sauntered towards me.

"Merry Christmas, Dave." Her pet name for me. I'm certain she's mocking me now.

"Religion doesn't look good on you. Infact it's sickening, you can drop the act around me please." I deadpanned.