Chapter 1 - Yoon

I look up and down the shelves searching for a specific object. Not able to find it I go the next isle. 'Ah, there it is.' I think to myself. I walk towards the bread and scan through the different brands trying to find the correct one. Sadly, the brand I need is on the top shelf. I'm too short to reach it and I seem to be alone. I try to reach it anyways. I go on my tippy toes and even jump, still no luck. I sigh and give up. 'I'll get punished...'

I look up once more and decide I better try harder. I jump a few more times only to get the same result. No bread. "Do you need some help?" I turn my head to the unfamiliar voice. It was a tall male I've never seen before, which is unusual considering this is a very tiny town and everyone knows everyone. "I'd really appreciate it." I say, taking the man's kindness. "Here." he mumbles and hands me the item. I smile softly and thank him. "Anytime." he replies and walks off.

Once I'm done checking out I walk down the sidewalk to my home. I go up the familiar steps up to the door and open it gently. Closing the door behind me I make my presence known. "I'm home." I say a bit loudly. I stand still at the sound of heels clicking towards me. "You're late." she snarles out. "My apologies ma'am." I say, head hanging towards the ground. She sighs and mumbles to herself. "Your father will deal with you." she snaps and grabs the bread from me. "Yes mother..." I whisper and walk into the living room with shakey steps.

"Father?" I whisper. "You're late. Explain." I take a couple of deep breaths. "I am sorry sir. It is my fault, I could not reach the bread so it took me some time to get it." I explain calmly. He grunts, getting up from the couch with a cigar in his mouth. "Come." I nervously walk over and stand before him. I reach my arm out, pulling up my sleeve. He takes his cigar and harshly places it in the middle of my arm, along with the other burn marks. I bite my lower lip to hold back any noises from escaping.

"Go to your room, you will not be receiving dinner tonight." I pull down me sleeve and look up with teary eyes. "Yes father, thank you father." he nods and tells me to leave once more. Carefully, I make my way up to my room. Once I've entered and closed the door I let out a few whimpers. I start to quietly sob as I head to my bathroom. I remove my shirt and run the burn under warm water, I apply cream so it will heal faster and wrap it up. I touch the marks on my chest as I feel myself heave up and down.

I start to feel nothing again as I sigh and go to my closet, replacing my worn clothes with pajamas. I thank the Lord for getting a small punishment. I climb into bed and fall asleep instantly.
---
I wake up to the smell of breakfast. I should hurry before I am late. I jump out of bed and hurry to get dressed and brush my teeth. Once I'm finished I walk down to the kitchen. "I'm leaving early for school." I tell my mother. "Fine." she says and turns away. I sigh, closing the door. At least I no longer have to be there, we'll at least for 8 hours.