The Raid

"Damn, this hurts," Sam hissed to herself.

She was hiding in an alley by the market place with a gun shot wound in the back of her shoulder. Orion had been shot dead, yet she had no time to grieve, so she had to retreat on foot with her weapons and the tea set case. She'd managed to shake the Drekoni off her tail but for how long? She peeked out from the corner. They were still searching for her. Sam backed away further into the alley. There was a way out on the other end so she went that way. She appeared on the other end of the market. The pain in her shoulder was excruciating but she had to keep moving. Sam quickly bought a brown leather jacket from a clothing stand to hide her wound. Taking off her weapons to put it on, she passed by some stables. Maybe she had enough money for a new horse? That way she could get to a doctor and get patched up.

She walked into the stables to browse for horses. There were plenty to choose from. However, a grullo dun colored mustang caught her eye. She rubbed the horse on the snout and it took in her scent.

"Hello, madam, how may I help you?" a man with a French accent said behind her. Sam turned to smile at him.

"Yes, I'm in the market for a new horse and saddle," she replied.

"Ah, but of course! Do you like this mustang here? She is a very wonderful, very loyal horse."

Sam nodded in approval, although the size of the horse left something to be desired considering Sam's frame. "Kinda small, isn't she?"

"Yes but she is still growing. Hmm," the man said, looking Sam up and down. "But perhaps a bigger horse would suit you."

Sam and the stable owner moved down a ways until she saw a tall silver dapple pinto horse. "Oh my, what breed is this one?"

"Oh, this is a Missouri Fox Trotter. Both a race and work horse," the man answered. "Fine animal, this girl is. Fast, too."

Sam outstretched her hand to the animal and the horse sniffed her hand. It knickered loudly and bobbed her head up and down which made Sam giggle. The action caused her to grimace from the pain in her shoulder.

"Are you alright, miss?" the stable man asked Sam.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just bruised my shoulder today."

The stable owner looked down. "Um, miss...you're dripping blood."

Sam looked down as well to see blood trickling down her hand. Shit. She looked back at the man and frowned.

"Okay, I cut up my shoulder real bad," Sam lied. "I just need to get patched up by a doctor, but I need a new horse first."

The man nodded, looking very concerned. "Well, let's hurry this up, then. Would you like the Fox Trotter?"

Sam nodded. "She'll do just fine."

After discussing the price of the horse and saddle, Sam quickly paid for both and got her new horse all settled with a new shiny black saddle. She climbed up on the horse, received her horse papers from the stable owner and immediately went on her way in the direction of the hospital.

X=====================X

Arthur was harvesting vegetables when his two daughters came up to him with Clarice and Conan.

"Hi Daddy," Scarlet said.

"Hello, honey," Arthur replied, grabbing a few yams and putting them in his basket. "What are you girls up to?"

"Nothing since Conan broke our tea set," Scarlet said with a pout.

"Well, Mommy should be back soon. She said she was going to go buy you a new set," Arthur spoke with a smile.