Chapter 12 : Hopes

December 24, 2017.

The moment Jeongguk opened the door, he didn't expect his hyungs to be waiting for him the first thing in the morning, all gathered in the living room. Jeongguk exited his room, masking the fact that he was having a terrible headache with the worst hungover, and also—how miserable and hurt he was.

Taehyung's eyes lit up at the sight of the maknae coming out of his room, standing up immediately.

"Jeongguk-ah," he called out, expecting some kind of response, only to get disappointed when he received nothing—not even a nod or a hum.

The others were simply looking at Jeongguk, expecting some kind of explanation or... or something that would make them not to worry. Though no one really asked him physically, the silence was more than enough for the maknae to understand what they were expecting.

The youngest stood in front of them, his night dress still on, his hair messy, his eyes puffed—and his head aching so badly.

"I'm taking a leave today," he said, "I already informed manager-nim."

With that, Jeongguk went inside his room again, closing the door.

Taehyung sunk back on the couch, never looking so dejected.

"I think I shouldn't have scolded him," he said to no one in particular.

"Taehyung," Namjoon called him, "I'm not saying this to comfort you or something but the boy was drinking too much. What you did wasn't anything wrong, you were just looking out for him."

"Hyung, he clearly has something going on in his mind, he just won't tell me what it is," Taehyung said, practically whining, "The day he got a nightmare—"

"He got a nightmare? Why didn't I know about this?" Hoseok cut him immediately, as Taehyung and Jin shared a meaningful look before looking away slowly.

"You knew," Hoseok said, looking at Jin.

"Yeah, I woke up in the middle of the night hearing some sobbing sound—"

"He was sobbing?" Jimin asked, surprised.

"Yeah, he was," the elder said, "So, I went to Jeongguk's room and he was crying holding to Taehyung."

"You were in his room?"

"No, I wanted to listen to songs and chill with him, but he was crying in his sleep," Taehyung mumbled.

"Anyways so," Jin continued, "I asked if he wanted something, and when Tae said no, I came outside."

"Yeah, he was muttering something 'don't leave me' and stuff," Taehyung said, wetting his lips, "But when we both lied down on the bed, he said 'I'm glad you didn't leave me'. I didn't what that meant."

"Nobody is leaving him though," Jimin muttered.

"Seriously, I don't know what's going on in his mind. We literally used to tell each other everything," Taehyung sighed, "And he ignored me the other day completely—"

"Yeah, I called him alone after practice and told him to make up with Tae," Jin said, "And I think he did? I didn't ask after that..."

Taehyung sighed again.

"That was my fault. I told him to meet me at my room that night to talk about things, but me and Jimin were watching our old videos and laughing, when he came," he said, "He got angry."

Namjoon nodded, listening carefully.

"He was angry that I had someone over when I wanted to talk to him," the younger said, "But again the next morning, he was acting weird, he didn't even acknowledge me. And that was why I told him not to ignore me in front of everyone... you remember?"