Chapter 70

Dorna

"Over there!" Janei exclaimed excitedly, tearing herself from my grasp and rushing forward, to meet the caravan of horses and carriages entering the outer yard of the red keep. 

"Janei!" I tried to catch her by her sleeve but she was already weaving through the crowds of guards and servants, forgetting for a moment all the mannerisms I had worked so hard to teach her over the last months. I gestured for Ella to follow her, emitting a soft sigh as I though of the expensive fabrics the girl was no doubt in the process ruining. 

As the carriages halted I gazed across the yard. Kevan had mentioned he would be present when the stark girl arrived, but once again it looked like his duties had him busy elsewhere.

Maybe it's for the best, I thought, after such an arduous journey the poor child deserves a comfortable welcome, especially in her condition. There would be time for my husband's voiced displeasures later.

"Calm yourself my Lady" Ella desperately tried to tame Janei as she pulled her back into my range. 

"It's that one over there!" My daughter pointed at the second carriage, the hair her servant had worked so hard at this morning already coming undone again. 

I gave an amused sigh. She was such a wild little cub and I often found myself wondering where she had got it front, then again I could vaguely remember a youth before I grew up and became the lady to a lord of the rock.  

We let Janei guide us to the carriage she mentioned and my heart warmed when the door was opened and Brayla stepped outside. It calmed me immensely to know the girl had such an experienced and loyal midwife with her. 

"Lady Dorna" she gave a curtsey when she spotted me, seeming almost relieved to see me.
I grabbed her hands and squeezed them. "Oh Brayla, it is good you are here. How were your travels?" I pondered curiously glancing into the carriage behind her. 

The midwife had a slightly worried look upon her face. "Well.." She started hesitantly. "It wasn't easy" she admitted. "Just as I had predicted"

"Oh hush you!" Came a harsh order from inside and a moment later the Stark girl emerged from the darkened carriage. She climbed down the small ladder bowlegged and round like a barrel. I gave a little squeal of shock when she gave up on the last step and hoped down onto the cobbled yard. 

"Carliene!" Janei looked as though she wished to hug the girl for a moment, but her eyes soon fell on her belly and grew wide. 

It occurred to me then that it was probably the first time she would be properly confronted with pregnancy and birth. 

"Are you absolutely mad girl!" I half exclaimed as I approached her as well, shooing my daughter out of the way. "What were you thinking!" I grabbed hold of her cheeks, which looked rather pale, my thumbs touching the dark circles under her eyes. "That long journey!" My gaze travelled lower along her frame. "And in your condition!"

She got hold of my wrists and freed her face for my touch. "No need to scold me my Lady" the girl stated, sounding tired but also somewhat relieved. "Brayla has been reminding me of my stupidity every day for the last fortnight" she assured, releasing my hands one they fell to my sides. 

I looked over at the midwife. 

"Carelessness not stupidity, my Lady" the woman corrected.

"Have you decided on a name yet?" Janei demanded and I had to give a faint smile at her persistence. 

"Hush you" I pat her head, guiding her towards the servants. "Don't you have lessons with your septa?"

The girl gave me a pouty look but knew better than to protest. She grinned at Carliene one last time before skipping off.