Chapter 51

Carliene

The feast was a glamorous occasion, as I had learned to expect from the Lannisters. Even though there weren't more than ten or so honoured guests, the kitchens had prepared at least a ten coursed meal. Lord Kevan sat at the high table, his master at arms at one hand and Captain Vylarr at the other. There were two tables holding the honoured guests, one of which held Kevan's family and myself. The other held the maester and a group of rough-looking men clad in dark leather one of which I though I recognised as Dain. I guessed that they also belonged to the city watch.

As Lord Kevan held his speech, I let my eyes wander over the many tables filled with lower soldiers and guards. They were Lannister men mixed with city watch, listening in polite silence as the Kevan announced that the pox had been successfully dealt with and that all we ate was thanks to the harbours reopening.

Loud cheering filled the room as the men raised their glasses and patted each other on the shoulder proudly. I studied the many faces, looking for a familiar one. Ser Euron would be in the company returning from Lannisport, but I could not spot him anywhere.

Confused I turned my attention back to Lord Kevan who was busy thanking every man who helped deal with this threat, even and especially the ones who had lost their lives to the disease. He failed of course to mention how him and the city watch came to know about the danger. As I listened to him I imagined how it would be if he would acknowledge my help. How would all these plank-heads react if they knew that it had been a woman who saved their pathetic city. Oh how they would respect me then. 

I should have never bothered with that quest. I should have just let them rot and see all their wealth be smothered under the sickness.

Lord Kevan finished his speech, which was met with loud cheering and the servants bringing in the first dishes. The hall grew noisy as everyone spoke to each other and in one corner a group of musicians started playing.

A steaming plate of onion pie was placed before me and once again I found my mouth watering, a sudden hunger forming in my stomach. I broke through the golden crust with my fork and waisted no time to taste the savoury meal. While I chewed I let my eyes wander across the rows of tables set a little lower than the hightable, still looking for Ser Euron. As I studied the men, I noticed some of them returning my curious gazes. Some looked away quickly as our eyes met, other held my stare with a frown, one even winked at me.
I quickly turned back to my food, some of thos simple-minded oafs might take my staring the wrong way.

The next dish was served, black bread with molten rich cheese. I didn't enjoy that one as much and left most of it untouched, once again finding myself wondering what would happen to the scraps.

"Have all your father's men returned for Lannisport?" I questioned Martin, not wanting to stare into the crowd again. 

I was sitting at the edge of the table, with only Martyn next to me so he was the only one I could talk to. The boy looked at me with cheeks full of food. He studied me with discomfort. Finally he nodded and started chewing slowly as if the food in his mouth had suddenly turned sour. 

I watched him as he turned back to his plate. "Are you afraid of me?"

He straightened up, something between embarrassment and offence in his eyes. "No" he managed to say in-between chews, though never meeting my eyes.

I was about to ask him why he treated me so cooly then, but I realised that there was no point. His brother had been killed by Robbs men and he was holding a grudge. And what use would it bring me to convince hims I had no part in that? I was tried of trying to befriend these people. I felt that somewhere in the process of trying to gain their trust they had tamed me.