Chapter 53

Carliene

I slept restlessly that night. Pulling my knees up and curling around my stomach. I felt ashamed. Ashamed that I had started to care for the little thing. It was a Lannister after all. A lion.
But it doesn't have to be, my better half tired to convince me. It was as much my child as it was the kingslayers. As much Stark as Lannister. A such wolf as lion.
I found myself lying awake and wondering what its future would be like. If it were a boy it'd be the heir to the rock. Furthering the line of Lannisters at Casterly Rock. But with Rob, Bran and Rickon dead, he would also be the rightful heir to Winterfell. 

"Can they do that?" I asked the darkness. 

Could one house rule two keeps? The Lannister's were actually already ruling over more than just the rock. Tommen was a Lannister, he ruled the entire kingdom. Guilt boiled up in my gut. I am handing the north to them.

I tossed and turned until dawn. I had just managed to fall asleep when Iris woke me.

"The maester wishes to see you" she informed as she helped me dress. 

I yawned in response. "The city watch leaves for Lannisport today?" it was half a statement half a question. 

"That's right m'Lady" she agreed. "They are set to leave this morning"

"I need to go" I said suddenly, rising from my chair and heading for the door.

"But I haven't done your hair" Iris objected. 

"It's fine like this" I assured as I pulled the door open. 

"You're not supposed to go alone m'Lady" she called after me.

I gave a nod to one of the guards at my door, signalling for him to follow me and hoping he would not object. He didn't and I could hear the clink of his armour as he followed me to the great courtyard. It was littered with men an their horses. A wagon had also been prepared. I stayed at the foot of the steps, my eyes searching the crowd for the familiar beak-nose of captain Vylarr. I spotted him across stew yard, walking with the master at arms, who's name I had forgotten. They were talking, no doubt exchanging farewells.
I watched them shake hands and decided to make my way over as the knight left. Vylarr went over to his mount and was fumbling with his saddlebag when I reached him. 

"Captain Vylarr" I spoke as I approached as to not startle him. 

Never the less he looked surprised. "Lady Carliene" he noted. "Out and about so early after what conspired yesterday?" he questioned.

I flexed my right hand nervously, feeling the sting of the cut. "I wanted to thank you before you left" I said straight to the point. I didn't like the man. He had a nasty personality. Which is why I had been so surprised to find him coming to my rescue. Even if it was as he said - right time, right place - I still felt the need to show him my gratitude.

He turned back to his saddle. "Any man would've done the same" he sounded almost uncomfortable. 

"But it was you who was there" I insisted. "You saved my life Ser"

He turned to look at me again. 

"I'm afraid I have but my words to thank you for it, but I am grateful all the same"

He nodded raising his brows. "And you refrained from mentioning my crude behaviour to the Lord. I'd call us even"

I could live with that. "Farewell then"

He gave a small bow. "Farewell Lady Carliene" he turned and climbed onto his horse. 

I thought about asking him about Euron for a moment. Maybe he had some insight. But then I thought back to the conversation I had had with Kevan the night before and felt it wiser never to mention the knight again. They've probably shipped him off to the war, far away from me so that the rumours might be quenched.