II Chapter 56

Jamie

"I have knights patrolling the surrounding hills day and night, if anyone approaches or leaves we will stop them or we will know" Ser Addam assured. Even so I had hardly slept the night before.

"Good" I mumbled, staring at the papers in front of me until the letters grew blurry. I should really delegate all this paperwork to someone else.

"How are you holding up?" he pondered in a softer tone as he took a seat on the edge of the chair opposite form me in an awkward position so that the sword at his belt did not get in his way.

I took a deep breath before speaking. "We have gathered most of the gold, the first wagons are ready to roll out, Lord Prester is readying his men to lead the host to guard them" I gathered. "Willas Tyrell and the Blackbar girl are still nowhere to be found, but while search for them we have located quite a few stocks of grain and other resources, which we can make good use off. I will have them loaded onto anything with wheels we can find and brought to Oldtown, in hopes that the kraken's ships have room for such useful things"

"I mean how are you holding up?" he emphasised. I had feared that that was what he meant. "I heard you hit the girl"

My phantom hand clenched and I could not meet his gaze. "I didn't mean to" It had been a moment of anger and weakness. Olenna had just confessed to killing Joffrey and then the Stark girl was brought before me and I saw the rage in her eyes. And the hate. Oh that hate, it made me believe just for a moment that she was capable of murdering an innocent child by throwing it from a tower. And one moment was all it took for me to punch her. It was reflex and not intent, otherwise I would have used my left and not the golden hand. I never intended to hit her that hard either, but somehow I managed to nock her out completely.

You have forsaken every vow you ever took.

"Does she know that?" the knight asked me innocently.

This time I balled my good hand, straightening slightly in my chair. "I haven't seen her" I told him.

"Why not?" I knew he meant well, and yet he was starting to get onto my nerves ad I regretted having ever told him so much about my times as a prisoner and under what circumstances Lady Catlyn set me free.

"You weren't there when they captured her, she was about ready to strangle me with her eyes" I tried my best at a lighthearted tone. "Half the words she used would put a septa in her grave" he did not show any signs of amusement instead just waited for me to continue. "I want you to keep an eye on her" I decided then.

"Me?" he shifted slightly in his seat.

I nodded. "I don't trust anyone else and no one else knows what's at stake here" I realised. 

"What is at stake here?" he tested.

My honour. Once again. And I am the fool who still thinks I can redeem some of it. "Just make sure she is guarded" I told him. "I don't expect Tarly's son to try anything stupid, but loss and revenge make people do strange things sometimes" not to speak of any other foes she may have amongst my men that I am yet unaware of.

He nodded slowly, much to my relief. "Alright, I understand" he rose, groaning slightly under the weight of his copper armour. "I am looking forward to meeting this Wolf Witch" he told me half amused, but I did not find any enjoyment in these kind of titles. "Do you believe the stories the smallfolk tell?"

"I've learned not to go off rumours" I offered with a clenched yaw. "I'd rather judge the person for myself" 

He raised a brow at me. "That will be a little hard to do if you refuse to face her" he pointed out.