Chapter 74

Carliene

There was a strange sort of energy in the air that day. Like an anticipation of a city that know it was about to make history, only no one knew how much chaos that day would hold.
I had slept unwell again, finding myself getting no rest over the words that Cercei had said to me yesterday. What if she would come away unscathed? What if she had bribed someone, what if she had a good defence? I had tried to calm myself with the thought that I still had the option of stepping up as a witness if I thought the odds were turning in her favour, but still no sleep came. The pup was just as restless as I, no doubt sensing my distress. I found myself unable to manage more than a few bites at breakfast in Dorna's chambers as a stinging cramp lingered in my stomach. 

"Are you well child?" The old woman grabbed my hand, giving me a concerned look. 

I straightened and smiled at her. "Just a little tired is all" I assured gazing at Janei and Martyn. "Are you sure you want to bring your children?" I asked carefully as we walked to the carriages that would be taking us to the sept. 

Dorna followed my gaze to her two youngest. "I can't keep them protected forever" she stated regretfully. "They need to be confronted with the gravity of the world and how justice is served"
It sounded more like Kevan's words than hers, but I supposed they were valid either way. 

Dorna requested us to pray as we rode in the carriage. I had the impression that she was even more nervous than me. I was gad she had her eyes closed for most of the ride though, mumbling under her breath with Janei in her arms as that kept her from seeing my pained expression every time the pup kicked me.
Martyn noticed, but I pressed a finger to my lips to ask for his silence, which luckily he understood. 

The plaza of the sept was far more lively than when I had visited. It reminded me strongly of the time my father had been put on trial, which only cause my stomach to flutter more. 

Lord Kevan was awaiting us, greeting his wife with a kiss on the hand and his children with a pat on the shoulder before they entered. When he turned to me he gestured with his head for me to follow. "I'd like to speak to you"

Somehow I felt my heart sink. This was it, I thought, this is where he sends me back and forbids me to witness the trial and denies me our deal and Winterfell. 

Instead he produced a small silk pouch from his pocket and placed it in my hands. 

I frowned at him confused before opening it carefully and letting the content slide onto my open hand. It was the piece of ember from Ser Oliver I realised happily, only now it was fixed to a fine golden chain to function as a necklace.
I stared up at him unsure what to say. 

He didn't meet my gaze only looked at the small object. "Take it as a small toke of my good faith.." He stated. "... and as an apology" he added more hesitantly. 

I felt a knot form in my throat as I was moved by the gesture. I had the strong urge to hug him, but I caught sight of my belly protruding between us and realised that that endeavour would no doubt end very awkwardly. So instead I took the gentle chain in both hands and fastened it around my neck, grinning happily as the stone came to rest just bellow my collar bones. "I shall wear it always" I promised hoping he would know from that small gesture that it meant a lot to me. 

We were about to head into the sept when a sudden cramp forced me to stop and bend over. This one was worse than the ones I had been having all morning. 

"I'm fine, I'm fine it's just a cramp" I waved off as Kevan returned to my side with a worried expression. I was about to straightened and walk on when it worsened and it felt like my whole stomach was twisting together in a knot. I would have toppled over if I hadn't grabbed the hand's upper arm to steady myself.