II Chapter 9

Carliene

I took a deep breath, wondering why I hadn't made an effort to visit the garden of Dragonstone sooner. The air was cool and heavy with the scent of pine, the trees were tall and dark, sheltering me from the wind and causing the yard to be almost eerily quiet. The floor was covered in pine needles, making even my footsteps quiet. It reminded me of home and if I closed my eyes I could, just for a moment, imagine myself standing in the godswoods at Winterfell, with the moon pools and old trees surrounding me. And there we were, Robb and Jon and I. Running around and climbing the trees, getting dirt on our clothes. Theon was there too, and even Sansa.
I reopened my eyes and blinked away the moisture that had gathered in them. I missed home. More than anything. Not just the place, but the people and the time as well.

I walked along the narrow path, bordered by throne hedges and rose bushes that had no flowers on them, but looked wild and unkept. I ket my eye out for any hint of red or white, though I doubted that there would be a weirwood tree on Dragonstone. It was build by Aegon the Conqueror after all and he and his kinsmen kept different faiths.

Who needs gods when you have dragons?

I halted when I realised I had reached a wall, with an archway that lead out of the garden. Looking back I frowned in disappointment as I realised how small it really was. Turning to my right I walked along the wall, stepping over a few moss-covered boulders that must have dislodged from it's top at some point.

"My Lady"

I flinched a little at the call, not having expected company so early in the morning and at a place like this. Looking up, it was Lady Olenna's knight who had sought me out, his sword swaying at his side as he approached with big strides. 

"You are not an easy person to find" he stated almost amused. He was wearing his sky blue tunic again and I once again wondered what kind of birds was depicted on it.

"That wasn't my intention" I assured a little hesitant.
"Of course not" he agreed. letting his gaze wander across the unkept plants. "Forgive me for having to disturb your morning walk but Lady Olenna requests your presence"

She is not going to give me any peace until she gets what she wants, I realised half annoyed, but to the man I only nodded, signalling that I would follow.

He gestured with his hand and lead me back the way he had come, the sword at his belt giving a fine ring with every step he took. 

My eyes fell on the pommel, which looked to be carved ebony with golden detailing. I found myself wondering if i would ever hold a sword again and if I was even still any good at it.
"Have you been to the Reach before my Lady?" the man pondered.

I shook my head before remembering my septa who had always encouraged us to use our voice. "No I haven't"

"Oh, you'll be in for a treat then, there is nothing quite like the rolling hills and the golden fields" he assured. "Or the lushes woods, filled with boar and deer, if that is more what you prefer" he elaborated and gestured at the trees surrounding us.

"Forgive me, Ser, but I don't think I ever caught your name" I pointed out, realising that if I would have to accompany the Tyrell host I might as well get familiar with the people in service.

He made a fist with his right hand and lightly punched the open palm of his left, giving a displeased grunt. "Where are my manners, of course. Vortimer, Ser Vortimer Crane at your service" he gave an awkward little bow while we walked. "Forgive me, I should have introduced myself sooner, how foolish of me" he shook his head.

"Have you been in the Tyrell's service long, Ser?" I pondered ignoring his apologies.

He nodded. "Most of my life" he agreed. "Started off as a squire for Lord Tyrell and now I proudly find myself in the position of master-at-arms"