II Chapter 28

Carliene

Had I met Willas looking the way he did now in the stables I would never have recognised him as the Lord of castle. Expensive silks and satin was replaced by a simple rough-spun tunic and dusty riding pants. The only thing that made him stand out from the stableboys was the brace on his leg. He was talking to a round-bellied man who's upper arms were at least as thick a his thighs. 

They stood with a large destrier who patiently let them pat his back and tough his legs. 

Ser Theodore halted and gestured towards them. "Here you go my Lady" 

I thanked him and approached by myself, looking at the large structure and realising that I was illy dressed for it. Loud snorting returned my attention to the men and I realised that the grey horse was pulling against his restrains nervously, hi eyes wide and ears pointed as he looked my way. 

"Woah boy" Willas bulled the animal's large head down to his height and pat his nose trying to calm it. 

Sensing that I was the reason for the distress I halted at a distance, greeting the men in a calm tone as to not spook the horse further.

"Lady Stark" it was strange seeing the Lord smile so freely. He gestured for me to come closer and although I thought it was a bad idea I did just that. 

The horses nostrils flared and it gave a displeased sound, pulling against the reigns in its master's hand. This caused Willas to almost be pulled off his balance, but the large bald man quickly intervened, grabbing the reigns and pulling the steed forward. 

"Calm down you dull beast" he huffed with annoyance. "I'll bring him and the black one then?" 

Willas who had limped over to the stable box beside him and grabbed his cane only nodded. 

Clicking his tongue the man pulled the horse after himself as he moved to walk past me. "Come then you jumpy bastard" he mumbled, giving a nod my way. 

I made sure to move all the way to the wall of the boxes to my right and even so the animal's eyes were large and frightened when it passed me.

"We have to move some of the mounts to different stables, to make way for those of the highest ranking lords" Lord Willas explained as I watch the animal walk off. "Usually this is where I keep the breeding mares and one or two destriers for riding" 

We walked along the many boxes, some empty, some being cleaned and some holding nervous horses. He lead me to the very back, where a few of his brood mares remained.

"Rosie and Lilly here still have a few weeks" he pat the first mares neck pale brown one with a speckled neck. "Rosie here has produced many fine steeds, haven't you girl"

The horse tried to nibble at his ear and it almost looked like she nodded. But I could also sense that they didn't like me there. They felt fearful in a similar way the bitch had in the morning. 

"You can pet her its fine" 

I hesitated. 

"Are you afraid of horses?" he sounded almost disappointed. 

"No" I assured. "But I think they are afraid of me" I looked at the two animals, the other was a cream destrier with pale blue eyes. I tried to reach for them, to find that fear in them and try to erase it. 

"They are not, they are used to being handled by many different people"

And yet when I took a step closer they shifted on their legs nervously and snorted. And the one called Rosie pulled her head away from the Lord's touch.