II Chapter 6

Tyrion

"Olenna once called me a glorified bookkeeper" I stated as I watched the ink dry on the parchment.

Varys kept on writing in his own ledger, uninterested in my lamentations. 

"Said she was disappointed because I had had such a reputation for drinking and whore mongering" I frowned into the silence of the room as I thought back. Always a disappointment.

"We could feed another hundred men and their horses with the amount those dragons eat in a week" the master of whisperers offered instead.  

I'd rather have the dragons.

Varys sighed, placing his quill aside. "I worry about the Dothraki as well"

I leaned back in my chair, tapping my fingers against the armrests. This was a perfect time for a glass of wine. "They have simple taste, a goat now and then seems to suffice other than that I heard they dry the meat of their slaughtered horses" I stated knowing full well this wasn't the concern he was trying to express. 

"They will have to be used in combat eventually and I fear what kind of destruction they may leave in their wake" He elaborated with concern. 

I raised a brow. "Not the same kind of destruction as a dragon" I pointed out. 

"No" he agreed with a sigh. "But they are a completely different people with different customs, if our history has taught us anything then it is that bad things happen when different cultures meet each other"

I tapped my fingers on the armrest again as I thought. I could really use a good cup of wine.
"I am beginning to believe we should not have brought them across the narrow sea" he admitted in a lower tone, tucking his hands into his coat. "I mean they don't even speak the language"

"We didn't know if we would be receiving any support here" I offered. "If my dear sister hadn't made so many enemies we would have had the Tyrells oppose us, maybe even the Martels"

He sighed again as he looked at the window and the dark sky beyond.

As per usual he was right. The Dothraki were as foreign to the westerosi as a dire wolf would be to Dorne. The culture the appearance, no doubt they were part of Cersei's strongest arguments towards opposing the Targaryen queen. Thus we weer very hesitant in using them, in any sort of strategies involving them being brought to the main continent. 

A nock on the door interrupted our silent thinking. "Yes?" I called, admittedly too lazy to get off my chair and answer the door properly. 

An unsullied did so instead, stepping aside to reveal the Stark girl. 

"Lady Carliene" I greeted in the most cheerful tone I could muster. 

She sent an unpleasant glance at Varys. "Forgive me my Lord, I did not mean to disturb" she offered politely. 

"Nonsense" I waved off, realising I was rather glad for some company that wasn't just the eunuch. "Come join us, I'll send for some wine" I gestured to the unsullied who nodded and left, closing the door.

I could see Varys wanting to protest from the corner of my eye, but the girl beat him to it. "Thank you, but I think I already had my fill of ale in the dining hall" 

Having ones fill of ale? What an absurd thought. And her speech was not even slurred. 

"I was hoping to speak with you" she stated before looking at Varys again. "Alone" her tone was almost harsh. 

Varys looked rather offended, giving me a frown, but I only shrugged. He rose, keeping his head held high in pride as he bowed stiffly and briefly. "Evening my Lord" he offered to me. "My Lady" his tone to her was bittersweet with an undertone of venom.