II Chapter 38

Carliene

"Ser Vortimer will escort you back to your chambers" Willas stated after we were done with dinner. 

I wanted to refuse and tell him that I was well capable of finding my way through the castle by now, but as escorts went the knight was hardly the worst company I could imagine.

"Thank you my Lord, I had a good time" I assured, though by the look on his face I got the feeling that he did not believe me. 

It was completely dark out by then and there were black shadows in the areas between the torches in the hallways. We walked in silence at first and I found myself thinking back to the maester's chambers, my heart quickening slightly. I quickly pressed my fingers against my bandaged palm to distract myself with the pain that caused.

"How fares you hand?" 

"Quite well" I assured quickly, raising my hand and looking at my palm. "I will be able to train again tomorrow" I promised. 

He laughed at my enthusiasm. "It would do you better to take another day off"

"No" I disagreed stubbornly. "We agreed on one day" had we? I wasn't entirely sure anymore. 

"Did we?" he voiced my thoughts as he slowed his pace and crossed his arms in a challenging way. 

I turned to him. "Listen, I know how this works. If I want to be any good at word fighting I will have to practice every single day, to build up my muscle memory" I urged. "Besides, it doesn't even hurt anymore"

He gave me a testing glance then he held out his flat hand. I stared at it for moment, feeling my face heat up slightly at the thought of his gentle touch. Luckily it was dark and he was unable to see. I knew if I offered my hand he would squeeze it, trying to show me that it did indeed still hurt. All I need to do was decide wether to remain stoic or wether to punch him. A large part of me wanted to chose the second option and I nearly had to chuckle only thinking about it.

But when I placed my hand in his and he squeezed down where he knew my open blister was I held my composure and only stared into his eyes in the darkness.

When he realised it wasn't working he released my hand immediately and gave me a disappointed look. "This proves nothing" 

I shrugged and crossed my arms. "I could just order you to train me" I pointed out. He parted his lips to speak but I could do him one better. "Or I could have Willas order you" I said triumphantly. 

His eyes fell to take in the white fabric pretending to be a dress on me. "So you fancy yourself the seductress now?" he challenged. 

I gasped at the notion. "That is uncalled for" 

He gave a chuckle and raised a brow at the gown. "Is it" he challenged. "So you wear this because you enjoy putting your breasts on display" 

There was no sound when my hand connected with his cheek as the bandage swallowed all the noise and most of the force as well. It probably hurt me more than it hurt him. He chuckled nervously as he reached up to hold his cheek and I shook out my stinging hand. 

"You are unbelievable" I hissed angrily before turning away from him and storming off. 

I could hear him sigh. "Lady Carliene" he called after me, but I was too proud to listen. "My Lady" I could hear him hurry after me. Then his fingers wrapped around my upper arm and he held me back, forcing me to turn reluctantly. "I am sorry, I did not mean to offend you" he stated. 

I frowned at him. "And yet you continuously do" I pointed out. "Do you think apologising makes it alright?" I challenged. 

"No" he admitted almost sheepishly and slowly released my arm. "I suppose the point I was very poorly trying to bring across is that I have known Willas for most of my life and dressing scandalously is not the way to sway him" he offered.