Chapter 24

"Uncle Marky you came back!" Ava announced to Mark when he walked into the house the next morning. He had spent the night at the hospital, avoiding the wrath of Derek. Ava sat at the table eating her cereal and watching the small TV that was attached to the counter.

Looking around for Derek, Mark sighed in relief at not seeing him and sat down next to Ava at the island that stood in the middle of the kitchen. "Hey monster, where's your dad?" He implored, trying to get as much information out of her as he could.

Ava was glued to the TV and only looked up when Mark waved his hand in front of her face. "He didn't have clothes on when he got up...so now he has to put some on.." He tried not to laugh at her matter of fact story. She was too smart for her own good.

Mark got up, rubbing Ava's head and ready to bolt out of the room when Derek came around the corner and into the kitchen. Derek came into the kitchen whistling with a grin on his face. He stopped when he saw Mark, but gave him a happy nod.

"Ahh...good morning Mark." He acknowledged nicely, walking over and kissing Ava on the forehead. Mark stood stunned, confused at the sudden change in his friend. He had been prepared to have his nose re-set surely anticipating Derek breaking it in a blind rage. But happy...not moody Derek..that was a real shock.

Derek had made his way to the cabinet, getting out cereal and a bowl not even paying attention to Mark. "I'm sorry about last night man...if I had seen you like that with Addison..I probably would have been the same way.." Mark started, but Derek put his hand up interrupting him. "Apology accepted. I overreacted."

Mark stared at him, like he had two heads. "Derek, what happened to you? I'm really starting to worr..." Mark paused. "Wait a minute..." He was deep and thought and then smirked like a Cheshire cat. "I know that look...you got some didn't you?"

Derek shook his head trying to deny it, even though his cheeks were flushed a very bright pink. "I can't even believe this...you are unbelievable. You got make up sex? After that? Man..I can only pray Addison forgives me like that..."

Derek tried not to smile, knowing he did have an amazing sex life at times. Ava looked up at her father, suddenly interested in the conversation.

"What's make up sex?" She asked, using her adult observation skills. Mark cleared his throat, willing the ground to collapse beneath him. Derek narrowed his eyes at him, annoyed that he once again had to explain something too mature to his daughter.

"Is that like when mommy puts make-up on?" Derek dropped his bowl in the sink, trying not to laugh at her 4 year old perception of the world. "Uh...it's something only mommy's and daddy's do...why don't you finish your breakfast.." He tried, trying to get her diverted and out of the awkward conversation.

"Ava pushed her bowl away and slid off the bar stool. "Oh..me and Andrew can't have makeup up sex?" Derek coughed, and blushed a brighter shade of pink. Mark watched as Derek's body tensed and then relaxed.

"Who is Andrew?" Mark asked picking Ava up and propping her onto the island to wipe her face. "He's a friend from school..." Derek replied still tense, but pretending not to be. Mark could tell he wasn't really comfortable with the conversation.

"No daddy, he's my boyfriend...we're getting married." Ava corrected rolling her eyes at her father. Mark looked at Derek not believing what she was saying."Boyfriend Derek? Isn't she a little young for that?" Derek tried not to laugh at Mark's sudden protectiveness.

"She's 4...I don't think it's a real boyfriend." Mark looked at Ava who was watching both of them intensely. "I'm not sure what's going on here Derek...you're the one that freaked out about Tyler...and at least we know him..."