Chapter 46

An hour and a half later Derek arrived home. As usual, a tiny blond came charging into the foyer and plowing into his legs. It was a struggle not to loose his balance with the Burger King bags in one hand and his briefcase in the other.

"Wow Ava, you're gonna knock me over." Instead of giving up Ava clung to his pant legs persistently.

"Up daddy!"

"Don't talk like a baby, I can't hold you, my hands are full."

"Daddddyyy up!" He wasn't sure what the baby voice was about, but he couldn't resist her. Putting down the bags, he picked her up effortlessly and embraced her in a hug.

"I really need to get this food to mommy before it gets cold." Ava turned her head to nuzzle her face into his ear.

"I know a seeeeeecret." She taunted, so quiet that he barely heard her.

"A secret...hmm...what kind of secret?" He asked, playing along with her game and stepping further into the house. He didn't see or hear Meredith anywhere, and he peaked his head into the family room to see if she was there.

"A super secret!"

"Oh...well maybe you shouldn't tell then." He smirked, though he was curious as to what would come out of her mouth.

He felt her hot breath on his ear and then forgetting she was supposed to whisper a secret, she talked normally causing his ear to ring painfully.

"Mommy doesn't want Burger King anymore." She giggled and Derek watched as Meredith walked into the hallway from the kitchen. He looked at her with a twinkle in his eyes and then back at Ava.

"She doesn't?"

"It's a secret daddy." She looked at her mother, suddenly realizing she wasn't supposed to tell and wiggled to get down.

"Not supposed to tell..."

He put her down and let her run to Meredith's legs.

"What is going on?" She wondered, though she had a suspicion she already knew just by the knowing smirk Derek was shooting her way.

"Well, our daughter was just telling me you no longer want Burger King..." She looked at him and he saw the flash of worry that spread across her face.

"Ava, I told you not to tell.." She joked and ran her hands through the girls honey blond hair to avoid looking at Derek.

Turning around he went to get the bags off the floor and brought them closer to her.

"Imagine that...after turning around and driving all the way back to get Burger King...you don't want it?" He teased, holding the bag out so she could smell it's contents.

She smiled at him, no longer worried he was angry and took the bag from him even though she wasn't really in the mood to enjoy it anymore.

"Well...I guess I'll eat some of it.."

Derek picked Ava up once again and followed Meredith into the kitchen. "You don't have to eat it Meredith."

She had already taken out the cheeseburger and unwrapped it. The smell of the juicy carbohydrate burger filled the air and he scrunched his nose.

"I think I do want it now." She had changed her mind and already was digging into the burger before he could reply.

"Hmm...somehow I figured that would happen." She never failed to both amuse and amaze him.

Ava was bouncing around to Hannah Montana on the small counter TV, a common sight in the household. The concert shirt she was refusing to take off was covered in paint, dirt, and whatever else she had picked up at school. He let out a disgusted sigh.