Memories

I watched Mark's car leave as he went to drop his brother at the airport, and I felt a chill in the air.  I went back into my apartment, and went to grab a blanket.  It was on the top shelf of the closet, and I had to stand on my tip toes.  When I pulled it down, and heard a thumb!  I didn't see what it was, I just went back downstairs.  I wrapped myself in the blanket, and sat on the couch.  I sat there for an hour when I heard footsteps running up the stairs.  I heard Mark saying something to himself as he came into my apartment.  He ran in, and lept onto the couch.  He pulled some of the blanket over him, and we got close to each other for warmth.  Mark was quiet for a little bit, then turned toward me."  Why don't you talk about your family?"  He asked, and I looked up at him."  It's just a bad area in my mind, and it hurts a lot to talk about them."  Mark shrugged, and got even closer to me."  Hey, I'm going to go find another blanket."  He crawled out from the blanket, and went upstairs.  He was up there for a while.  That was odd, I was sure there were blankets on the top shelf still.

        When he came down, he wasn't holding a blanket.  He was holding a picture frame, and he looked confused."  Who's this?"  He asked, and showed me the picture.  I froze with terror.  I stood up quickly, and pulled out of his hands."  Where the hell did you get this?"  I yelled, and he looked shocked."  I found it on the floor, the glass is still good.  Why are you mad?"  He said, and I just gave him an angry look."  Don't ever touch this, never!"  I said, and put it on the counter.  Mark walked over to me, he looked sad."  I'm sorry, I didn't know it was so important to you."  I looked up at him, I almost to crying."  I'm sorry, it's just that..."  I couldn't even put it into words what that picture meant to me.  It was of Evan and me.  Evan was my boyfriend."  That's Evan and me from when I lived in Illinois.  It us before the accident.  Evan had his license, and said he wanted to go on a ride.  I was sick, so I couldn't leave the house.  There was a blizzard that night, and the roads were icy.  Evan's car slid, and hit a metal pole.  He was killed on impact."  I rubbed my forehead, and turned away from Mark."  It's just I could've done something, I could've told him to stay the night."  I slammed my palm into the counter, and held back the tears.

        "He was always a crazy fucking driver, didn't like to listen to the authority.  Listened to me, that was what he did."  I felt myself be turned around, and was pressed into Mark's chest.  He wouldn't let go of me, he just hugged me.  I hugged him back, and let the tears flood over."  It was nothing you did, or what you could've done.  It wasn't his fault either, you understand?"  I nodded, and we just stood there for a while.  Mark then told me he was going to give me some alone time, and he went to his apartment.  I stared at the picture of Evan, and the tears came on hard.  I clutched the counter, and sobbed."  Why couldn't you have stayed with me?"  I said, and sat down on the kitchen floor.

        I was there for maybe two hours before I got up again.  I grabbed the blanket from the couch, and headed upstairs.  I laid in bed with the blanket covering me, and just laid there.  I was getting messages from Jake and my mom, but I ignored them.  I just sat there until my eyes shut on their own, and I fell asleep.

        Hey guys, sorry for the short chapter.  I'm tired, and it's cold in Illinois.  I'll make a longer chapter tomorrow, I'm not sure on what about though yet.