Chapter 48

Malia's POV.

"So you're engaged?" Albie asks .

"Yup." I tell her happily as I look at my ring.

"Must be rich because that ring is something else." She says as she eats her food.

We are on lunch break and seated together like we always do . The people at the firm are nice save for Rein, Albie was right, she is an ass. I finished being an associate and I'm now working on a case for a couple trying to get custody of their children .

"He isn't that rich." I lie. Kai is beyond rich he probably doesn't know how much money he makes every day because it's too much to keep tabs on.

"Whatever you say anddddd I think Alex likes you." Albie whispers.

"No he doesn't he is just a friend and my mentor at that." I tell her.
Alex has been too nice to me but I'm assuming as a friend since he hasn't shown me any signs of sexual attraction towards me and I'd love if it remains that way .

"I know he does,he looks at you every time you're in the same room and he is staring right now ,don't look he might think we are talking about him ." She says and I instantly turn my head and find Alex seated with some other guys but he is looking at me.
"Bitch I told you not to look,now he thinks we are gossiping about him." Albie hits my arm.

"But we are gossiping about him." I tell her and she rolls her eyes.

"Yeah and the whole point is not for him to know that we are." She huffs making me laugh.

"Fine whatever but Alex doesn't like me that way, I'm sure he knows I'm engaged."

"Does he?" She questions.

"Man I don't know." I tell her .

"Anyway let's get back to work ,I have a court session at 3pm." She says as she gets up.

"You have court sessions in the afternoon?" I ask her because we usually have court proceedings in the mornings only.

"Yeah, my client just wants this to be over with ,she is leaving the state." She explains as we reach her office.

"I'll see you after work , is that driver of yours taking you?" She asks. She has this little crush on Vanni but I think he doesn't .

"He is my driver so he has to take me." I tell her .

"Okay then , we are having an evening together." She says and I nod my head as she disappears into her office and I continue to mine down the hall .

"Malia." I hear Alex say my name and I turn my head and find him walking towards me.

"Hi Alex ,how are you?"

"I'm good,I haven't seen you all morning." He says and I raise my eyebrows at him because he is clearly lying.

"I was in the cafeteria Alex." I tell him and his cheeks turn a slight pink knowing that I caught him staring at me.

"Sorry." He stays lowly.

"It's okay Alex." I tell him and begin to walk away and he comes to walk with me by my side.

"The company is having a get together with all the attorneys this weekend and I was wondering if you'd come with me." He says .

"I wasn't planning on going." I tell him. I wasn't even thinking about going because I just wanted to stay home with Kai and have some us time since we both have been busy with work.

"Please come with me,like my date , not really a date but as a friend,just as friends." He says nervously.

"Okay fine,I'll come with you." I tell him and he smiles widely and then kisses my cheek.