ch 9: Do you think that I'm really his brother?

Peter's pov

As soon as Cole left the house, I seized the opportunity to escape into the virtual world of Fortnite, seeking refuge among familiar faces—my Mafia friends.

"Hey, Peter, you're alive and kicking!" Andrew exclaimed.

"We were worried he offed you," Ken added.

"No such luck," I replied with a wry smile. "But I need to get the new instructions. Can you guys call Bryce here?"

"Absolutely," Ken rushed to make the call.

Bryce arrived promptly, wearing an air of pride. "Peter, how was the surprise?"

"What surprise?" I double took.

"I saved your ass, jerk," he announced, a grin playing on his face.

"Excuse me?"

"I changed your files and the DNA result."

"Really? So it's fake?"

"Yep. So, you're fine."

"I don't give a damn about myself. Where is my mother?"

"Don't worry, I won't do anything to her while you're doing your job. I'll let you call her."

"Thank you."

"Welcome. Hey, take a look at the new instructions."

He briefed me on the latest plan.

"Yes, sir."

"Okay, wait a minute."

"Peter," Mom's voice filled my ears, her eyes welling with tears.

"Mommy."

"Honey, are you fine? What happened?" she questioned, her expression a mix of relief and worry.

"I'm okay, Mom. Tell me about yourself."

"They're treating me well. Don't worry; I'm just missing you."

"I'm sorry, Mom. I'm very sorry."

"It's okay. Just be safe and come back to me."

"Yes, Mom. I love you."

"Love you too."

We shared a brief conversation, and then I resumed playing with my friends. I heard the phone ringing, but I chose to ignore it.

Noticing Aunt Linda packing her bags, I stopped her. "Aunt Linda, you don't have to do this."

"No, I can't stand watching."

"Never mind. You just know me; you don't have to feel pity for me."

"Don't think less of yourself. Your father would never accept what your brother is doing."

"So you've decided?"

"Yes."

"Thank you for everything, and I'm sorry."

She hugged me, saying, "Take care of yourself."

She left, leaving me alone in the house. I headed to Cole's office, taking files I'd found the previous day. He'd probably miss them, but at this point, who cares? I'll be out of this place soon.

Hating me won't change the truth. I'm not his biological brother; they're fake files. I need to save my mother. Besides, he treats me horribly, so why not retaliate? I'll destroy him like he does to my body, especially to my butt.

Just a little patience...

"I'm going to make you pay, Cole Marco Carnell!"

I stashed the files in my closet, then returned to the living room, immersing myself in the game.